Is it worth an EMu 0404 or a second-hand CDP?
Jan 30, 2006 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mandea

New Head-Fier
I have a big problem. I am not satisfied with my a2.
I have two options: I can sell it and buy an emu 0404 (i don't know anyone having this card so i'll buy it based only on what i read), or buy a second hand cd player, costing about as much as the emu. The guy i know has denon, marantz, onkyo, etc. But they are like 5-6 years old.

What do you think I should do? Buy the EMu or a CDP?

I, personally, think I should go for the emu. But I have learnt lately that specifications are not everything that make a very good sound.

Jan 30, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #3 of 11
I don't deny that and I believe. But I think that hi-fi has much in common with silence. I mean a computer is pretty noisy. My PC isn't noisy (only the power source can be heard) but neither dead silent. And listening to music without the computer running may add something to the music. It's just a thought anyway.

Jan 30, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 11
you're right. What about buying a silent PSU?
etysmile.gif

Jan 30, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #5 of 11
yup, just get a proper Seasonic unit

Jan 30, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandea
I don't deny that and I believe. But I think that hi-fi has much in common with silence. I mean a computer is pretty noisy. My PC isn't noisy (only the power source can be heard) but neither dead silent. And listening to music without the computer running may add something to the music. It's just a thought anyway.

I agree... not only that, but (at least in my case) using a PC as source is tempting to distractions, and to start listening to music as background accompaniment (e.g. to posting on this forum). I gave up on PC listening and am currently using vintage PCDPs, with my eyes toward a full-size source soon.

I don't regret the decision either... it's very easy and cheap to just burn CDs from FLAC files, and I tend to spend more time listening all the way through, vs. having the ability to play any song at my fingertips (which tempts me to skip around and be indecisive about what to listen to). There are cases where too much choice is not a good thing.

The final nail in the coffin (for me, just IMO) is the ability to listen to music in bed as I'm drifting off to sleep. Not easy to do with a PC as source... you have to get up to start the music, turn the PC off, etc.

Jan 30, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #8 of 11
That's exactly what i will do if i buy a CDP. I will burn FLAC to audio CDs. But I know that 90% of quality is given by the DACs and I am afraid that a 6-7 years old CDP (I don't intend in spending more than a 100 Euro for a CDP) has lower quality DACS than an EMU 0404. I will listen in any case CDPs to see if they sound any better than my a2. But I am still in doubts which solution will offer me more bang for the bucks.

Jan 30, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandea
I have a big problem. I am not satisfied with my a2.
I have two options: I can sell it and buy an emu 0404 (i don't know anyone having this card so i'll buy it based only on what i read), or buy a second hand cd player, costing about as much as the emu. The guy i know has denon, marantz, onkyo, etc. But they are like 5-6 years old.

What do you think I should do? Buy the EMu or a CDP?

I, personally, think I should go for the emu. But I have learnt lately that specifications are not everything that make a very good sound.

What is the rest of your gear? Headphones? Amp? Speakers?

If you are looking at spending twice the money for the 0404 for a old CDP, I would spend twice the money, and get the 1212m.

Either way, both cards will sound better than a CDP in that price range, new or used.

Jan 30, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 11
I have a kenwood 4020 amp and a pair of monitor audio bronze b2. Nothing fancy but that's what I can afford right now. Anyway where I live I can buy an emu 0404 for about 100$. And I am not willing to spend more. And if for this price the emu is better I will go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back