Is it worth 4G 20gb to Photo 60...?
Apr 20, 2005 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

THE PATRIOT

Head-Fier
Hello,

First post here, congratulations for this fantastic place
wink.gif

Well, I own a 4G 20 gig Ipod plus Shure E3C plus Apple original case. Most of my music is encoded at MP3 320kbps, it sounds quite good but...

Lately, I've been thinking of getting a 60gb Photo plus Vaja case, an amp such as the Supermacro V2 and for phones, either Sensa's Soft 2X or Ety's E4R-P. Of course I would go lossless
580smile.gif

So, keeping in mind that I am 16, do you think it is worth to sell my actual equipment (dunno where to start
frown.gif
) and get that kick ass rig?

Thanks for all your replies and time.

Best,

Mario

Apr 20, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 5
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.
wink.gif

Think about how you use your portable setup. I have the SuperMacro and SR71, and I still use the iPod by itself at least as much (with Etys). Also consider what your battery life requirements are. I thought I'd use ALAC files, but the hit was too much so I switched to 320 AAC (big jump in extending life) then to 256 to now 224 (another big jump) as my default. Course you'll get a little bump just moving from 4G to Photo.

If you want a truly portable setup there's always going to be compromises. Just think those through. I went 4G 40GB to 30GB Photo and am happy. It's all what you can get for your old player and what you need. Just be aware the 60GB is very thick.

Apr 20, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.
wink.gif

Think about how you use your portable setup. I have the SuperMacro and SR71, and I still use the iPod by itself at least as much (with Etys). Also consider what your battery life requirements are. I thought I'd use ALAC files, but the hit was too much so I switched to 320 AAC (big jump in extending life) then to 256 to now 224 (another big jump) as my default. Course you'll get a little bump just moving from 4G to Photo.

If you want a truly portable setup there's always going to be compromises. Just think those through. I went 4G 40GB to 30GB Photo and am happy. It's all what you can get for your old player and what you need. Just be aware the 60GB is very thick.

Thanks master for the reply
wink.gif

Well, The thing of portability is kinda ''relative'' as I everyday use backpack and I could even buy a ''independent case'' to bring the stuff with me. Yes, the 60GB photo is really thick, I have had it in my hand.

So, do you think that by only changing the phones itself and adding an amp and a new case I would be ok? I only have like 3.9 gigs left on mine now, and I plan on adding a lot of other music.

Thanks again,

Mario

Apr 20, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 5
Well Grasshopper, it really depends. Do some lossless to 320 kbps LAME MP3 or 320 AAC comparisons and see what difference you detect. Especially on a portable (and portable environments) these differences may shrink. Then again even if you prefer ALAC, we're talking 57 versus 170 albums. Do you truly listen to more than 57 albums at a time? And of course remember if 'a lot more music' is desired, if you move to lossless you won't have much more (if any) music on a 60GB, than you have on your 20GB with high bitrate MP3s.

Plus there's always music that can be deleted off a persons portable or computer. Progress/stagnation often are at odds my boy, and the more you hord the less forward likely you move. Delete half your music every year. Jeffersonian slash and burn, and in that fertile ground newer, stronger bionic weeds will grow.

Then again if you get most of what you paid for your 4G, moving over might not be a bad idea. If battery life is a concern, the Photo will give you 3+ additional hours (why I did it). Color screen is nice, if a bit gimmicky (photo aspects, though increased resolution is a plus). Extra 40GBs is always good, but necessary? Deep down only you know.

EDIT: Phones and amp are likely to give a much larger jump than going high bitrate MP3s or AACs to ALACs, but there's a psychological speedbump knowing you're limiting up front. One thing that offsets that a bit is you can use MP3/AACGain on those files and you can't on ALAC. Do properly gained high bitrate lossy files sound better on the iPod than screwed up gained lossless?** Don't know. The former does allow the use of the iPods dramatic EQ though.

[size=xx-small]**Course you could always use a WAV/AIFF editor to adjust before ALAC conversion, but I'm not sure of the issues involved. [/size]

Apr 20, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Well Grasshopper, it really depends. Do some lossless to 320 kbps LAME MP3 or 320 AAC comparisons and see what difference you detect. Especially on a portable (and portable environments) these differences may shrink. Then again even if you prefer ALAC, we're talking 57 versus 170 albums. Do you truly listen to more than 57 albums at a time? And of course remember if 'a lot more music' is desired, if you move to lossless you won't have much more (if any) music on a 60GB, than you have on your 20GB with high bitrate MP3s.

Plus there's always music that can be deleted off a persons portable or computer. Progress/stagnation often are at odds my boy, and the more you hord the less forward likely you move. Delete half your music every year. Jeffersonian slash and burn, and in that fertile ground newer, stronger bionic weeds will grow.

Then again if you get most of what you paid for your 4G, moving over might not be a bad idea. If battery life is a concern, the Photo will give you 3+ additional hours (why I did it). Color screen is nice, if a bit gimmicky (photo aspects, though increased resolution is a plus). Extra 40GBs is always good, but necessary? Deep down only you know.

EDIT: Phones and amp are likely to give a much larger jump than going high bitrate MP3s or AACs to ALACs, but there's a psychological speedbump knowing you're limiting up front. One thing that offsets that a bit is you can use MP3/AACGain on those files and you can't on ALAC. Do properly gained high bitrate lossy files sound better on the iPod than screwed up gained lossless?** Don't know. The former does allow the use of the iPods dramatic EQ though.

[size=xx-small]**Course you could always use a WAV/AIFF editor to adjust before ALAC conversion, but I'm not sure of the issues involved. [/size]

So would keep the source and get some kick ass phones plus amp? Also, I can always open the thingie and replace battery
3000smile.gif

Thanks again.

Best,

Mario

Users who are viewing this thread

Back