is it true that sony decided to stop making md machines?
Nov 18, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 13
anyone?
confused.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 13
Where did you read about it?
confused.gif

Sony was talking about cutting down on some departments, but nothing official had been said yet about getting rid of minidisc altogether.... at least not that I know of.
blink.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
Where did you read about it?
confused.gif

Sony was talking about cutting down on some departments, but nothing official had been said yet about getting rid of minidisc altogether.... at least not that I know of.
blink.gif

Is there any reason to continue the MiniDisc while lossless player is becoming popular?

Nov 18, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by geoges.ravel
Is there any reason to continue the MiniDisc while lossless player is becoming popular?

minidisc is very versatile.it has a mic input for recording sessions and it also has a line in with much longer battery power.you can edit with it.create groups on the disc and it can be recorded over a million times plus the cost of the blanks in montreal are 2.49 each plus you can record from any source in order to archive cassettes,dat,radio programs,live conversation with the mic,...etc.enough said.let's see the ipod do all that?
tongue.gif

Nov 19, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 13
my md is used primarily to rip my new lp's. atrac type r on a good md deck sounds great with vinyl, and it automatically creates tracks.

Nov 19, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 13
i wouldn't think so...
if md's were going out of style, i'm sure sites like minidisc.org and minidisco.com would have made some kind of announcement...

Nov 19, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 13
I think it could be a possibility. I am basing this on rumors that Sonic Stage development has stopped with version 3.3 and the replacement (Connect Player) has no support for MD/Hi-MD.

Nov 19, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 13
I could possibly see them getting rid of MD in America, but I doubt they would in japan. Isn't MD the/or one of the main formats now in japan? I know several people that have gone to Japan (although not recently) and said MD was everywhere.

Nov 20, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by geoges.ravel

I don't see the connection. Most MP3 users don't use lossless. In fact the majoirty of people are replacing lossless (CD Audio) with lossey MP3's. Besides even if you have a lossless file, doesn't mean your player has the fidelity to play it properly. Look at all the posts about SQ on the various MP3 units.. Whereas MD/HiMD SQ has always been very well regarded. As for recording mainy MP3 players also record like the MD can. But none of them can touch a MD for functionality or recording quality. So theres two good reasons.

1) SQ
2) REC SQ

wink.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
I don't see the connection. Most MP3 users don't use lossless. In fact the majoirty of people are replacing lossless (CD Audio) with lossey MP3's. Besides even if you have a lossless file, doesn't mean your player has the fidelity to play it properly. Look at all the posts about SQ on the various MP3 units.. Whereas MD/HiMD SQ has always been very well regarded. As for recording mainy MP3 players also record like the MD can. But none of them can touch a MD for functionality or recording quality. So theres two good reasons.

1) SQ
2) REC SQ

wink.gif

i also agree on the sq issue. for portability, an mp3 player with dedicated line out and a good amp and cans is the audiophile choice for lossy. companies like sony are way ahead of the hardware curve with md compared to mp3 players.

Nov 21, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by brian183
I could possibly see them getting rid of MD in America, but I doubt they would in japan. Isn't MD the/or one of the main formats now in japan? I know several people that have gone to Japan (although not recently) and said MD was everywhere.

On the Minidisc.org forums someone posted some figures and MD market was still pretty large. But it is decreasing even there. I reckon its still large enough to keep making a few models if only for the Japanese market. Indeed they've released some new HiMD (player only) units recently. Nice format with great sound. Pity Sony have left it wither and die. Opportunity missed.

I still like it. Have a couple portables. Mainly for recording though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back