Is it true that most American workers only get two weeks holiday a year?
Oct 9, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #16 of 72
well i get 7-16 weeks a year depending on how much i/coworkers want to take. cheers

Oct 9, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #17 of 72
All of this really depends on your level. Some folks that are not at the corporate level don't get any vacation, or no vacation until after the first year and no sick leave outside of that. Many folks don't take the vacation anyway because they have a work ethic and not a mental stability / recooperation ethic.

Oct 9, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #18 of 72
365 days/year unpaid vacation here, with time off for work. Hey, look at it that way and how could anybody complain?
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #19 of 72
I just started this year, and I get 13 days vacation a year which is about 2.5 weeks. After 3 years, I'll get about 20 days a year, which is 4 weeks - not bad. It goes up again to 26 days a year, but you've gotta stick around 15 years for that. I also get something like 10 paid holidays (including tomorrow, yay!). Keep in mind though that I work in government, which tends to be better on the time off and benefits, worse on the pay.

Oct 9, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #20 of 72
In Canada, I get 20 days off. Whether they be sick days or vacation days depends on how I spend them. I also get all regular holidays off. Not too bad.

Oct 9, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #21 of 72
It seems that the average here in America for "white collar" workers is 2 weeks to start and then they add a bit more as the person has been there longer or as they move up the ladder.

For "blue collar" workers, I think it's significantly less... Many workers get none.

Beyond that, the bottom line is watched so closely here that it is often very difficult to take the vacation time you earn because there's no one else to stand in for you.

Oct 9, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #22 of 72
I dunno. I could never willingly miss vacation time for work. I love what I do... probably more than 99% of the people in this country... but doing it all the time without nice cohesive blocks of time off would seem out of balance to me. Without vacation I'd become affraid that I had become a worker, not a person who works.

But then again, I always have odd ideas about such things.

Oct 9, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #23 of 72
My dad is a highschool teacher and he seems to get pretty good time off.

2 weeks off around Christmas, 1 week for Spring Break, July and August, as well as all Canadian stat holidays.

Makes me kinda want to get into teaching...if kids didn't piss me off so much hehe.

Oct 9, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #24 of 72
Quote:

I just started this year, and I get 13 days vacation a year which is about 2.5 weeks. After 3 years, I'll get about 20 days a year, which is 4 weeks - not bad. It goes up again to 26 days a year, but you've gotta stick around 15 years for that. I also get something like 10 paid holidays (including tomorrow, yay!). Keep in mind though that I work in government, which tends to be better on the time off and benefits, worse on the pay.

Math's a little off
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #25 of 72
What you get and what you can really take off without making it up in overtime are two distrinct issues. With 25 years, I get 34 days of PTO "Paid Time Off" and the office is closed like 8 days. Taking 34 days off is not even feasible. I already average 60-65 hours a week and the work doesn't stop while you're out.

Oct 9, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #26 of 72
Many places won't give vacation days til you work there for a specific period of time.

Then there is the set number of sick days.

That one always cracked me up. Like you are supposed to predict how much you are going to be sick during the year. (yep, time to start licking the keyboards...)

Vacation time is always conditional too. Many times you can't add too many of them to a holiday to extend the holiday. And you can be denied vacation time if it's too busy, or "they need you."

-Ed

Oct 9, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #27 of 72
I get 28 Days paid leave per year, in addition to all UK statutory holiday's (called "Bank Holidays" over here) which account to 9 iirc.

That's a total of 37 days paid leave (holiday/vacation) per year.

We don't have any set amount of sick leave in our company... If you're ill, you're ill. However I understand that a manager is supposed to refer an employee to the "Occupational Health" department for an assessment if the employee has more than 20 days sick in a year.

Oct 9, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #28 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.karmalicious
Math's a little off
wink.gif

Replace weeks with working weeks and it's about right mate!

I have 4 months holiday coming up because I am a student. I need to get a job, or I'll die of boredom.

Oct 9, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #29 of 72
In Finland, you can't just assume a business is operating at full staff with normal hours in June/July. It's normal to get a month off in the summer, a "ski holliday" long weekend in Feb., and a week or two off at Christmas. As for sick days, I'm not sure what my husband's work contract says. Probably as much as the doctor says you need.

The normal workday is from 8-4. People don't like to take their work home as a general rule, and you can't assume stores are open all day on Saturday, and most are closed on Sundays.

Oct 9, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #30 of 72
Depending on who you work for, as it was mentioned earlier some places will give you 4 weeks of paid vaction after you have been with them for a certain amount of time while other places will only give you two weeks. I'm currently employed by an Autrailian based firm here in the US and we do grant 4 weeks of paid vaction after you've reach 5 years of employment with the firm. We grant 2 weeks of paid vaction to those with less than 5 years with the firm. I'm currently receiving the same amount of vacation time as you are along with my paid holidays and paid sick leave except for the 3 months of paid leave after 7 years of employment which I don't get.

Many of my Austrailian co-workers all tell me that vaction time give by various employers and medical insurance coverage in the US pales to what they receive back at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back