Is it True, Is the PX 100 Really Based on the legendary HD 414?
Jan 26, 2006 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 8
Myself, I've met with some technical reference to the HD414 in some pdf file describing the PX100 that I found on sennheiser.com.

On a side-note,

I've just bought myself a new PX100 with, supposedly, the "improved CCAW voice coils", since it sounds much better than my 2 older pairs to me! More linear mid-treble, no more sense of slightly dark, brighter upper treble, more linear midbass, possibly improved definition. :pX100smile:

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibo
Special baffle (based on the legendary HD 414) ensures very balanced sound

Is this true?

Haven't heard the HD414 yet, but like Lisa's sig, the warmth and slight veil of the PX100 is not what I'll suggest as "very balanced". I love my PX100's with a bit of EQ to tame the bass, or an amp that's more on the detailed/bright side. The mids are excellent with proper power. But balanced in my book would be DT880 (with a Meier amp) or the K701. I haven't heard an open portable phone yet that I'd consider balanced. Maybe Bangraman's Qualia out of his X5?
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 8
The 414 was the first open headphone made, all the way back in 1968. Apparently it still sounds good. Someone made the remark that they sounded better than Grado SR60s. I havnt heard much of the Grado so i dont know what sounds better the PX100 or the Sr60

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 8
Well, depends on how you'd define 'better'. I was never really a big fan of the lower Grados (sr60/80). I much prefered the sq of the MS1s but not by a large margin. But some people here likes the SR60s. Try them out and see if you have the Grado ears. I'd pick the KSC35's over the SR60/80 straight out of a portable source. And for comfort, the PX100s rules over ém.

Jan 26, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibo
The 414 was the first open headphone made, all the way back in 1968. Apparently it still sounds good. Someone made the remark that they sounded better than Grado SR60s. I havnt heard much of the Grado so i dont know what sounds better the PX100 or the Sr60

I have the Sennheiser HD424X at home (my father's one), which is a slightly improved HD414, very similar sounding. No, they are not better than Grado Sr-60, they have a pleasant "old" sound, but their better days are passed (this thirty-years headphone at the time was the flagship Sennheiser).

bye
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back