Is it time for sub-forums in the "Headphones, Earphones, In-Ear Headphones" forum?
Oct 31, 2007 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

jersey_emt

100+ Head-Fier
So, it's quite obvious that this forum is extremely active and has dozens of threads created daily. (Congratulations to the owners and admins of Head-Fi.org are definitely in order! Thanks guys for your hard work making this forum what it is.)

But alas, the heavy activity has its drawbacks. Mainly, it is very easy to have a question go unanswered simply because so many new threads and replies to existing threads are being made that what you asked gets bumped down to the second page.

To that end, I'd like to put forward the suggestion of creating sub-forums. Maybe have separate sub-forums for types of headphones: Open-back, closed-back, IEM's, electrostatic, etc.

I think this would be of great help, especially in this particular forum -- where, during peak times, it is possible to post a new thread, and have it bumped down to the second page in only a couple of hours -- which means many people may not even see it at all.

Thoughts?

Oct 31, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 23
Yes.

Give Grado and Ultrasone their own forums.

Oct 31, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 23
NO NO NO!

The forum will not be what it is now with sub-forums. Look at HTGuide and AudioCircle that have many many sub forums. They are a mess and get little action for a number of reason. While sites like Audiogon (and head-fi) are very easy to browse and read through.

1# For example say some one has a lot of canalphones (so he knows a lot about them). He no longer looks in the canalphone section and does not share what he knows. This makes for a dull usless forum.

You also end up missing a lot of neet threds when they are in sub-groups.

Oct 31, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 23
I was joking. By that logic, Stax should have their own forum.

If anything the logical breakup would be in-ears, mainstream, and planar / high voltage / AMT.

But even that wouldn't make that much sense. Team Ortho is in an evangelistic mood. Planar magnetics are the gateway drug that leads to Team High Voltage. We'd need to stay in with the moving coil folks for the proselytizing.

I have a simpler solution.

List more threads on page 1. 2 or 3 times as many.

Oct 31, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 23
I think their concern is recycled topics, but honestly the member activity here is so high, that it really doesn't matter as much, for as long as ancient/inactive threads are axed on a daily basis. I think that we're doing fine, and that whoever doesn't use the God-forsaken "search" function will just have to suck it up. If at all possible, just subscribe to threads that feel important to you.

But yeah, Yuins get their own section in the earbud sub sub sub-forum? Yah?

Oct 31, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 23
We need a sub-forum just to hold all the topics like this one!

I prefer the variety that you see in more inclusive forums like this one. I don't want to have to go through four different sub-forums just to see what's new and interesting in the world of headphones!

Oct 31, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by James63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1# For example say some one has a lot of canalphones (so he knows a lot about them). He no longer looks in the canalphone section and does not share what he knows. This makes for a dull usless forum.

Why do you assume that just because someone has a lot of canalphones, and knows a lot about them, would no longer look in the canalphone section? I think people would be more inclined to share their knowledge in a slightly more specialized subforum, as they would know that more people would read what they are writing (a bit narcissistic, sure).

Quote:

You also end up missing a lot of neet threds when they are in sub-groups.

So just have the main forum show all threads from all sub-forums. For instance:

Thread 'A' is a question about IEM's and goes in the IEM sub-forum.
Thread 'B' is a question about a pair of open AKG headphones, and goes in the Open Headphones sub-forum.
Thread 'C' is a question about Stax and goes in the Electrostatic sub-forum.

If you click on the IEM subforum, you only see thread A; the Open Headphones subforum, only thread B, and so forth. But if you view the main 'Headphones, Earphones, In-Ear Headphones' forum (the 'parent' of all the child subforums, and the equivalent of what this forum is at the present time), you see all three threads.

Best of both worlds.

Oct 31, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #11 of 23
Oh, BTW, Disclaimer: I administer a forum that is about 75% as large as this one, and have had similar issues to deal with. From my experience, things like this are first met with opposition, sometimes extreme and vocal opposition, but generally do work out in the end.

Of course, this is a different community, and every community has dynamics and nuances, so what I am proposing may not work well here at all. I'll leave that to the admins here, who are well-versed in how this particular online community 'clicks'.

Oct 31, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #12 of 23
When I browse, I start with NEW POSTS at top of page, so any sub,under or divided forum-sections won't be notice by me.
600smile.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #13 of 23
If the main issue is getting your posts read/responded to.... write more interesting titles.... Not "can I buy headphone?"

I like that this forum is a little chaotic, it allows people to just nose around and for those first-timers among us it makes the learning process a little easier IMO.

If I was to suggest a change it would be in the source section as "dedicated source" and "computer as source" are getting blurred a bit these days.
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #14 of 23
It isn't that busy. If a question doesn't get answered, it's usually because it's been answered a million times before, or no body knows the answer. The forums are already well partitioned.

Oct 31, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #15 of 23
we here folks are afraid of aything new fangled...we donts likes change you hear young man!
wink.gif

joking aside, if you search there are numerous similar requests been and gone before

Users who are viewing this thread

Back