Is it the song or my EQ?
Aug 19, 2008 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LostMoogle

Head-Fier
Don't know what section this belongs in but it is music so why not. You might end up liking the piece.

Giovanni Mirabassi Je chante pour passer le temps - FREE MP3 Stream - Listen on IMEEM Music

So above is a link to a song I like to listen to. The only problem is that I can't tell if it is the song quality (I've listened to a few different files of it), the quality when they recorded it, or if my equipment just can't handle it. Particularly, it will start buzzing after the 4:15 minute mark for me. Could anyone shed some light? My HD485's also experience this too.

At first I thought this was because I was playing it out of my crappy laptop speakers so I connected the laptop to a 5.1 stereo system. Not the best but even so, real speakers. It was a little better but... I then had to blame it on my sound card. So I decided to burn the song onto a audio CD and play it from the Stereo (Panasonic SA-AK77). It sounds a whole lot better but... the buzz still exists. Could someone else confirm this?

Aug 19, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 8
Listening on my Dell laptop with (I think) an average soundcard, I do hear sporadic, but unmistakable, buzzing in the left channel after 4:15. I think, given your having heard the buzz three times, and my confirmation, that the problem is with the file you're accessing through imeem. What that problem might be is a question for a greater mind than mine.

Aug 19, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 8
Well, its kind of weird. There are buzzes at the same points every time, but when I switched from laptop, to speakers, to a burned CD, some of the buzzes disappeared. Thats why I am so uncertain.

Edit: You can also try finding a different file as well. I experience this buzzing on whatever file I hear. It could be a recording error, but is it really?

Aug 19, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 8
LostMoogle;4628119 said:
Well, its kind of weird. There are buzzes at the same points every time, but when I switched from laptop, to speakers, to a burned CD, some of the buzzes disappeared. Thats why I am so uncertain.

I've had the same experience-the noticeability of the lousy sq will vary, depending on the given equipment. I believe, though, that if the sq is bad across multiple sources that it is fairly safe to assume that the problem started before the sound file came into your possession.

I'm not sure I understand your edit. If you are experiencing poor sq on every file, then it would seem there is some problem with your equipment.

Aug 20, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 8
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/why...-about-353539/

I hope this link works. This thread lead to a discussion of the "loudness wars" and the 30th post links to a website that links to tons of information about masters being compromised because of the desire to make everything ridiculously loud. I think your recording just has something wrong with it (probably poor mastering) and you will have to either live with it or continue seeking a cleaner version.

Aug 20, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 8
at first i didn't know what the hell you were talking about but after careful listening i think it's the pianist making those weird noises. like what jazz musicians do? it's buried in the background but comes through every so often. the buzzing i have no clue what that might be, some kind of noise picked up in the recording maybe? i would have never noticed this unless i was listening for it. is it coming out that blatantly on your end?

Aug 20, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #8 of 8
I get really anal whenever I hear something thats not supposed to be there. But for this, I always hear it. Its not so blatant, but it bugs me. Anyway, thanks for all your responses. It's a shame. I was hoping that it was my EQ than the song but oh well. Hope you guys enjoyed the piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back