is it the cd or my er6i? clipping on strong female choir chord?
Jun 24, 2007 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

basmatirice

100+ Head-Fier
i think this is clipping. i get this sort of scratchy sound in my left ear piece when the choir on my ultrasone cd, track 4 around the 45-47 second mark, does a strong higher pitched... singing thing...

why?

and it didn't go away when i turned the volume down. it reduced a little, but didn't go away.

and i don't think it's the cd cus i've noticed this when i was playing a game with a similar bit of sound on it.

it does this even when i have it close to mute! it's always that high end female choir sound that does it.

are my phones damaged or is this just the recording? i never noticed this on my ultrasones.

Jun 24, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 8
the source is a samsung dvd player, with a chaintech av-710 (no EQ), a home made jan meier cross feed and a pa2v2. i'm using a straightwire mini to rca cable and some black clover interconnects.

it's not a copy. and this happened once on zelda the twilight princess during one of the guardian of light scenes if i recall correctly.

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 8
Grab NCH tone generator and play a linear sine sweep from 30hz-10Khz with about 3 minutes runtime. Turn crossfeed off or remove it from the circuit, and go through your sound card's settings to make sure any signal processing is off. Make sure all computer-side volume knobs are at 70%, or if measured in dB, at 0dB. If you get distortion that recurs at the same spot on the sine sweep, your phones are probably damaged.

Jun 25, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 8
For what it's worth, I'm hearing the same thing through a Mapletree/RS-1 combo fed by a Stello DA100 streaming over an Airport Express. I do not have the CD; I downloaded those tracks from a link provided in another thread here.

I actually want to believe it's a recording problem so I don't have take the chain apart to do the necessary troubleshooting to correct a fault, i.e.: I'm hoping there's no fault that I can correct.

In the other thread comparing the RS-1 to W5000, it was mentioned that similar scratchiness was heard near 1.10 in Norah Jones' Come Away with Me. I hear that one too.

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #8 of 8
I have had a similar problem with the er-6is in the past, a scratching in the mid to upper treble region. But only when I have used the EQ and only for very punchy tracks in that region, Sigur Ros for eg. And no using an amp does not help. I just turned off the EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back