Is it right to test headphone system using speaker's method?
Mar 30, 2011 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tranhieu

Member of the Trade: DIY Amp Builder - AKA kytuphicanh
Caution: Incomplete Sales
So yesterday one of my friend (a speaker audiophile) sent me a song he often used for testing speaker. After hearing it through my set up (k1000, b22, buffalo 24, hiface) which I'm quite confident that it's somewhere near the reference field and describing what I heard for my friend, he said the whole system failed as a reference rig. I was quite surprised and asked him how a proper one would sound like, and truly what I heard was much different! (besides the notorious low frequency roll off of the k1000)

So that led me to wondering would it be appropriate to use test song for speaker for headphones? I know there're lots of guys here having experiences of both worlds so I'm waiting to be enlightened :)

Mar 30, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 5
The question is what does his "reference" rig consist of, and since you both have different hearing you will probably notice different things (every person pays attention to different things on a test rig).

There's no single amazing track out there. The one thing I would avoid for headphones is something with hard L/R separation and that would be it.

Mar 30, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 5
It's quite ridiculous if I say the rig that handle well the test song in the context is the Spharon Excalibur. Since he was quite interested in the K1000 and has tried the R10 before he wanted to know how well my rig can handle the thing.
Guess he was disappointed with my description, perhaps it was not because the K1000 performed poorly but because of my hearing, who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back