is it really worth it?
Nov 15, 2011 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

skree

Head-Fier
watch me get shot to pieces for asking this lol

I keep looking at the stripboard CMOY, i've specced the parts up before and it isn't cheap,.. It isn't that much more to buy a cmoybb, and i don't really have much test gear - cheap multimeter, no oscilloscope, things people say about stripboard being flawed for amps puts me off it.. etc. I like the cmoybb's looks, its easily replaceable battery (over the fiio e5), i could repair it if it failed etc

thing is, i've only got sennheiser mx880s, and they're easily loud enough on my portable source even at lower volumes. I've read reviews and i can't see any traditional design earphones (i cant use canalphones as a pedestrian)

but i really really want an cmoybb or a stripboard CMOY :D one of those things you probably dont need but really want just to play with.. 

what benefits would i see from having one? is it really worth it? i'm around halfway on the volume dial currently with no amp. I'm used to bass being a bit more present and forward than the mx880s give at present - would amping with the two above help this? I'm not ruling out buying a decent pair of cans in the future like the fostex's those thunderpants customs are based on.. but for now?

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 4
Bass boost, bass boost, or bass boost.  Get the cmoyBB, satisfy your curiosity, and have fun. 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 4
For something like earbud you won't see as much of a improvement as you would with a fullsize can.(better go with the bass boost for iem)

As for the build it vs buy it cmoy debate:

advantages of building:

control over quality of components(you can add more expensive/rare components)

customization of sound(use your own combination which you think sounds the best) rather than go with another builder's opinion

learning experience(diy can help you understand the workings of other amps)

the feeling of having built something

advantages of buying prebuilt:

when a seller makes a huge quantity of stuff hand built he buys larger lots of components, he can hand match(capacitors and resistor values) them better than you can.(only applies to bulk cmoy builders)(also a good reason to buy handmade stuff rather than production line stuff unless the builder have a poor reputation) (You can offset this in DIY by buying better components)

better cmoy boards(most of the time)

more experience in part selection(know which parts go well together)

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 4
i just heard the word 'headstage' for the first time and it struck a chord with me. I was reading about crossfeeds, as i often find i hear sounds only in one ear. I also frequently listen to my music with just one earbud in - or i would if it sounded right.

done a bit of research (not a lot) and the Meier crossfeed looks to be the most compact i've seen so far. I'd like to experiment with crossfeed vs bass boost - with my ears and my taste in sound as the test criteria. Can see this getting very expensive lol

my MX880s seem pretty easy to drive. The Sony EX35s i had before needed full volume to get the loudness the MXs get at 40% vol. Always wanted to hear the EXs through an amplifier, and i'm thinking they'd be a lot easier to make a custom headset out of - if i could use one bud for full sound. Would a meier type crossfeed fit in the altoids tin cmoybb (9v)? is there a more compact way of doing it?

What do you guys think of using a CMOY with a mobile phone? i was reading JDSLABS page for the CMOYbb and it says that stripboard CMOYs can be prone to interference? I'm thinking of the bip-a-bip-bip noise you get from an audio device that is on, in the same room as a mobile phone which is about to ring or receive a text, and the loud hum when in call near an on audio device

phones seem to be able to filter it.. but i cant use an amp if it's going to kill my ears with interference - i won't be using an amp if it will be interfered with by the source and i won't be using a dedicated mp3 player anytime soon, just got a phone with a top notch mp3 player in it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back