Is it really possible to teach an old dog new tricks?
May 1, 2006 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Nights_85

500+ Head-Fier
The answer that Ive come to is a definate YES.

"What the hell are you talking about dogs for in a headphone forum?" I hear you thinking, well I had recently managed to solder a couple of wires (with resistors in series to drop the voltage) onto a 6.5mm headphone socket and hook em up to the speaker terminals of my amplifer. I then proceeded to plug my Sharp HP-400H headphones into said socket and started playing some music.

AAACK! What came out of these headphones sounded like someone went crazy with the "presence" boost during the recording... so after a little EQ fiddling I come up with a preset that sounds fairly natural while still maintaining the awesome qualities of these cans (think CHUNK)

"What the hell are these Sharps you're talking about??" I now hear you thinking... These cans are back from the 70's, when bigger usually somehow was better, so naturally Sharp went out and put a woofer and tweeter in each can and Im telling you right now these things are pretty big... they also weigh about 600g so they're definately not very light. Asthetics aside, these cans seem to do something my Grado's cant do (SHOCK HORROR!).

Comparing to these to my Grado's, I'd say these do somethings better... and other things the Grado's do better.

I'd say the Sharp's are now my favourite metal/rock headphones (with EQ), in comparison my Grado's just sound polite.. possibly because the Grado's are open and have that nice open airyness (even if it is still in your face) while the Sharps are closed and have a seperate woofer to dish out the meatiness. The Grado's on the other hand are much more refined, and less fatigueing considering they just sound much more detailed and weigh exponentially less.

In conclusion to my very short and terribly structured rant, I will say that some of the old stuff is still good... providing you can give it enough juice.

p.s. for those of you with any Pioneer SE-300/700's or their brethren, I still had the crank up the volume while hooked up to the speaker outputs to get any decent level out of these.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back