Is it possible to wirelessly stream 24 bit audio from pc to DAC?
May 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

flargosa

500+ Head-Fier
I currently have my Apple TV hooked up to my Bifrost via optical cable but it only streams 16 bit audio.  Are there devices which can wirelessly read 24 bit audio from my pc then digitally transmit it to a separate DAC? 

May 14, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 9
hmmm, looking more towards a wireless solution since my pc is too far from the living room.  Kind of like a device which wirelessly reads files off your pc then feeds the DAC?  The closest I found are bluray players which read flac off sdcards then outputs the audio via optical out to the dac.  

May 15, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 9
The easiest way would be a NAS type of system, the files are hosted either by your computer or an external NAS device and allowed access by another device on the network like a BDP or network audio player. Game consoles also work well.

For instance I can host files on my computer and external harddrives and have them read and streamed by my PS3 using a small app called Playback.app.

I'm not sure what the sample rate support is truth be told I'm not sure if it'll do 24bit but it should be able to.

*NAS referes to Network Accessible Storage. NAS servers exist which connect via WiFi or Ethernet to your home network, most OSs support network filing sharing of internal and connected external harddrives. Some WiFi base stations have USB HardDrive access via USB and can host a USB external drive on your network.

I would think the Apple TV should support 24bit but I can't be sure since I can't find reference to it.

How much of your library is 24bit?

May 15, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 9
SB Touch with EDO app will do wireless streaming from your PC. That's what I have been using. But the Touch is no longer made and 2nd hand prices are ridiculous.

May 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 9
Nov 1, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #8 of 9
sorry I have come in a bit late on this thread but reading it has confused me.
Right now I am playing Johnny Cash All aboard The Blue Train which is FLAC 24bit/96Khz. Tracks reside in my laptop and played wirelessly on my Onkyo TX-NR 609 DLNA certified receiver (It does not play 24bit/192KHz).
Did the thread imply that 24/96 cannot be wirelessly be streamed?
Someone please comment on this.

Nov 2, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 9

It's a heavily flawed thread peppered with junk science and personal opinions expressed as facts. Outside the scope of the question asked by the OP.

As for wireless 24 bit: yes the Touch is the only wireless device I know of that can manage that. But I have heard and read of a view others now coming onto the market. Cost is an issue however.
I use the Touch. But I am also using a laptop with an optical output that is directly connected to the DAC. I use a tablet PC to operate the laptop remotely via remote desktop in Windows 7. It's a more expensive method, but at least it works and gives me wireless functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back