Is it possible to straighten out a coiled cable?
Jun 18, 2011 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nastynice

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I got some nasty headphones, ath-m50, but like a retard I got the coiled cable. MADDD annoying.  when I stretch it even half way, the side with the cable starts getting pulled off my head.  Is it possible to straighten this cable out in a safe manner?

Cant believe I spent $100 on headphones I'm not happy with, I wish I got the straight cable version (sigh)...

Jun 18, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #4 of 9
^^so I would lay it straight, put a piece of cloth over it and iron it?

Also, anyone know how sensitive these would be to hair dryer?

For either of the above methods, what's a good way to gauge the heat I'm putting to it, so I make sure I don't damage any of the internal wiring or whatever?

sry, I don't know anything technical or mechanical about headphone, I just love music

**I'm not necessarily looking to make it completely straight, I just want to relieve a good amount of the tension in there.  Like I said, its wound too tight, I can barely use 5ft of the supposed 10ft length before it starts pulling off my ear

Jun 18, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 9
Applying heat to cables does the opposite of cryo-treating them. It adversely affects sound quality & reverses the proper ion flow.

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #6 of 9
It is, but it does take patience and proper temp control.  Instead of an iron or blow dryer I would use boiling/HOT water.  Just don't get the water into the headphones.  The plastic on the wire has been heated into a circular shape.  You need to heat it into a straight shape.  This is NOT a fast process.  Take your time and it will work out just fine.

www.meridiancable.com

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Applying heat to cables does the opposite of cryo-treating them. It adversely affects sound quality & reverses the proper ion flow.

And soldering irons do what?

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #8 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back