Is it possible to semi-build better headphones than buy for under £50?
Mar 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Stylis10

New Head-Fier
I think the nature of this question shows that i am not an audiophile and really don't have the funds to indulge in it nor do I have much experience in this area, hence please be patient with me if this seems like a completely stupid question.

However, I did have a pair of Bose AE2s which were given to me as a gift and have recently been broken beyond repair (my young cousin got a hold of them and managed to rip them apart and destroy them beyond any repairable state). I would like to know if it is possible to used donor drivers and cases from different headphones to create a good quality headphone? Or am i just better buying a pair of headphones for the £50 price range.

I inquire about building the headphones myself because most headphones in the £50 range have 2 wires, where as i would like to have one, it would be easier for me to mod this if i was to buy different parts and put them together. Also I need the headphones to cover the whole of my ear as I wear glasses and the on ear headphones give me some pain with glasses on after a while. The actual size of he Bose cans(I think that's what they are called) and ear pads were perfect for me.

I have read a fair few threads on this site and my first idea was to get a pair of koss prota pros and mos them into a pair of ultraslim earmuffs like these: http://www.midwayuk.com/Howard-Leight-Leightning-LOF-Ultraslim-Earmuffs-NRR-23-dB-Black
but I dont know if the padding for the noise protection would dampen the sound from the drivers or not.

again, this may seem like a ridiculous question, but as I dont know much about audio i thought i might as well ask.

Hence my question, Is it possible to semi-build better headphones than buy for under £50?

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 3
There are plenty of people who do mod headphones here, but you have to be good with tools and know what you're doing. Even seemingly small details of the enclosure like how much dampening material is in it or the shape can affect the sound tremendously.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
There are plenty of people who do mod headphones here, but you have to be good with tools and know what you're doing. Even seemingly small details of the enclosure like how much dampening material is in it or the shape can affect the sound tremendously.

I'm not so much worried about the actual modding itself, I'm no stranger to tools or soldering irons. I do however have no clue as to anything sound related.

Also, i am one of those people that would much rather make something than buy it, I just like making things and seeing how they work and such. In this case though, I would just want a comfortable pair of headphones that give good quality sound but in my budget.

But like you said, even the details such as the shape and dampening material can affect the sound tremendously, hence it might be the better option to buy a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back