Is it possible to scratch a CD...
Aug 1, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #31 of 34
see, i thought about that, because i remembered this time i tried to fix a tupperware cup that my dog got ahold of, and i was gonna cut the teeth marks out with a dremel, and it ended up melting half of the cup

but the shaver thing might work if you did it more like a disc (like how commerical knife sharpeners sharpen knives (At least the ones I know of), they basically flip a floor polisher over and put the knife to it (ok its a little cleaner than that, but you get the idea, and afaik this is how the game reseller places do it)

i gotta try the brasso thing though, wonder if it can help fogging/oxidation by removing some of the polycarbonate and letting the laser get closer to the wholesome audio (OR, other idea, if you can improve the battery life of portables by reducing the weight of the disc thus reducing load on the motor, I think I might have to test that out, if I can find a portable CD player, and two of the same CD, lol)

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #32 of 34
I don't know exactly how brasso works, but it put more hairline scratches on the back of the last iPod I polished than I care to count. There were thousands, if not tens of thousands of micro polish swirl marks. I would be more inclined to use something possibly gentler, ie not intended for polishing metal, such as Tryphon fountain pen polish or equivalent.

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know exactly how brasso works, but it put more hairline scratches on the back of the last iPod I polished than I care to count. There were thousands, if not tens of thousands of micro polish swirl marks. I would be more inclined to use something possibly gentler, ie not intended for polishing metal, such as Tryphon fountain pen polish or equivalent.

It does this, after using Brasso, you need to use something to buff the surface to a shine. Car wax works pretty well for this, and it's cheaper than something more obvious like silver polish.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #34 of 34
yeah I did a computer case restoration, cleaned the whole thing with goo-gone (it was what I had) and then waxed it, you could actually like slide things over the surface of it, like a freshly waxed car, and it does cover up most of the little nicks and dings the metal picked up before I cleaned it, one thing is that car wax can fog a number of surfaces, so check what you're waxing before you just go at it (same is true for cleaners, some citrus products can fog some alloys)

and lol to the person who stumbles through this and ends up brasso'ing and then waxing their CDs to clean up scratches

Users who are viewing this thread

Back