Is it possible to hide audio without actually muting it?
Aug 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Super3dcow

New Head-Fier
I'm sorry this isn't a hardware related question, but this was the only place I could think of where I could get a fast answer.

I do live streaming with my brothers, and I usually pick up their microphone audio through Skype. However we are having a LAN party tomorrow. It appears the easiest way to pick up all of their voices is still by connecting through skype, but then it will be annoying, because we will be able to hear everything we say twice.

Is there any way to make it so the skype audio doesn't come out of my speakers, but still gets picked up by the computer, so it will be heard on the live stream?

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 10
The easiest way will be to use a bluetooth headset and set Skype to only playback to it.  Otherwise you will need to do some treaking on playback and recording devices in your control panel.

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 10
Hmm, I don't think any of us have one of those, or the ability to connect to bluetooth since we all use desktop PCs.

Do you know how to actually do it with tweaking output settings?

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
Hmm, I don't think any of us have one of those, or the ability to connect to bluetooth since we all use desktop PCs.

Do you know how to actually do it with tweaking output settings?

Can you list your setup as detail as possible?  But in general when you open up your "Playback Devices" by right clicking your lower right volume icon, you can set your default sound device and communication device differently.  Also, Skype can set it's playback and recording device independent from that panel in options.

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 10
okay. I use a simple Logitech stereo system.

There are 4 active playback sources.
LCD TV(because I use a tv for a monitor with an HDMI cable.)
Realtek Digital Output (not used)
Realtek Digital Output Optical (not used)
Speakers (what I use for all my audio)

Skype detects those same sources.

The live streaming program I use (Wirecast) doesn't have many audio options. It appears to pickup audio from speakers/default playback device, stereo mix if I chose, and my mic.

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 10
You don't have enough recording device.  You can try the following:

1. borrow / buy a set of BT headset and dongles, then set your skype to that.
  2. get a cheap USB headset, which will do the same as above.
  3. use your cellphones instead of Skype, or better yet get Skype's app for iPhone/Android if you have them.
  4. run Windows XP mode for Win7 Pro and use Skype inside the virtual box, leaving your main system for wirecast and game.  However, this could get hairy real quick.

The bottom line is that you need to have one more recording source for Skype, or somehow find a way to turn off recording line-in from Wirecast.

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 10
I see how the first two options might help, but not the last two.
I need to have Skype's audio in the live stream broadcast, but not coming out of my speakers.

I'm guessing the first two options would create an extra source to set Skype's output to, which would allow me to receive the sound without having to hear it.
I want to solve this without having to buy/borrow anything though.

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
I see how the first two options might help, but not the last two.
I need to have Skype's audio in the live stream broadcast, but not coming out of my speakers.

I'm guessing the first two options would create an extra source to set Skype's output to, which would allow me to receive the sound without having to hear it.
I want to solve this without having to buy/borrow anything though.

This is going to be very tricky, as you want the game audio and the skype to be in the stream but not to the speakers.  However, since Wirecast has to use your default playback and recording device for the audio stream, you have no choice but to mix the game audio with the skype into the same stream.  Because of this, your audio line out will carry both channel to the speakers...

Ok I just remember something, do you happen to have one of those 5.1 or 7.1 able motherboard for your PC?  Sometimes you can reconfig the channel to duplicate one another.  That way you may able to split the original game audio into two, then use the second one to mix with Skype for the stream.

Aug 2, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 10
It does have the ports for 5.1 surround sound.

There's something I just noticed.
Whatever the default output is set to when I open Wirecast, that's what it stays on. If I switch the default output on my PC, Wirecast doesn't change with it.

I wonder if I start it with my TV set as the default, and also set skype to output to the TV, and then change the default back to speakers, and tell Wirecast to accept the Stereo Mix too. Maybe with that, it will pick up the microphone audio from the TV output, and get the game audio through the Stereo Mix. I can't test it until I get in a skype call, but that's my theory.

Aug 2, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
It does have the ports for 5.1 surround sound.

There's something I just noticed.
Whatever the default output is set to when I open Wirecast, that's what it stays on. If I switch the default output on my PC, Wirecast doesn't change with it.

I wonder if I start it with my TV set as the default, and also set skype to output to the TV, and then change the default back to speakers, and tell Wirecast to accept the Stereo Mix too. Maybe with that, it will pick up the microphone audio from the TV output, and get the game audio through the Stereo Mix. I can't test it until I get in a skype call, but that's my theory.

Sounds good, hope it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back