Is it possible to do Stereo 7.1 on Sennheiser HD 598?
Apr 2, 2017 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

xphailedx

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody! I recently purchased the Sennheiser HD 598 and these are my very first headphones that I've purchased. I like to play FPS a lot on the PC and I was wondering if it was possible for me to change my windows settings for the Sennheiser HD 598 to Stereo 7.1?

Apr 2, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 9
In other words, you want to take the 5.1 or 7.1 audio output from your game (or maybe movie) and convert it into 2-channel headphone surround sound, for your HD598 headphones?

Your computer's on-board audio (Realtek or VIA or other) might have a headphone setting (audio control panel).

Here is some Razor software.
https://www.razerzone.com/surround

Creative labs software.
http://software.store.creative.com/p/software/sound-blaster-x-fi-mb3

Or maybe buy a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360869943118?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Apr 3, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 9
  Hello everybody! I recently purchased the Sennheiser HD 598 and these are my very first headphones that I've purchased. I like to play FPS a lot on the PC and I was wondering if it was possible for me to change my windows settings for the Sennheiser HD 598 to Stereo 7.1?

That depends on what DSP your motherboard came with. Look it up on the product website - some Gigabyte or MSI Gaming boards for example come with SoundBlaster Pro Studio. If it doesn't, there are other ways to get it. 

Cheapest is to check your game. If it has an audio mode specifically for headphone use, that's basically 5.1 simulation for 2ch headphones. Another software trick is Razer Surround, which works on all headphones.

Other than that you'd have to go hardware again, this time, you install a soundcard that has that DSP feature.

Apr 3, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 9
Asus has some sound cards with dolby digital headphones or something similar. I really enjoy that compared to normal 2 channel. But I don't know how it stacks up against some other offerings like creatives or razers.

Apr 4, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 9
  Question, is this any different than matrixing the 7.1 or 7.1 signal to 2 channel for speaker mains?

NO. And it's not "matrixing," it's plain "downmixing." It just extrapolates what goes into L R, like sending what's in C to both L and R, and then SL and SR go into L and R.

Headphone virtual surround doesn't just mix down to two channels, it adds reverb to simulate envelopment and distance. Just note that an artillery shell exploding 20m somewhere to the front and right will not sound like it actuall ycame from 20m away.

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #7 of 9

NO. And it's not "matrixing," it's plain "downmixing." It just extrapolates what goes into L R, like sending what's in C to both L and R, and then SL and SR go into L and R.

Headphone virtual surround doesn't just mix down to two channels, it adds reverb to simulate envelopment and distance. Just note that an artillery shell exploding 20m somewhere to the front and right will not sound like it actuall ycame from 20m away.

Not to get too far afield from the original post, but I was always under the impression that the sound with headpones will always be between your ears (e.g., inside your head) unless you're talking about a binaural audio recording.  So 7.1 and 5.1 downmixed to 2 channel will still appear to be between your ears.  Right?

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #8 of 9

Not to get too far afield from the original post, but I was always under the impression that the sound with headpones will always be between your ears (e.g., inside your head) unless you're talking about a binaural audio recording.  So 7.1 and 5.1 downmixed to 2 channel will still appear to be between your ears.  Right?

Downmixed, yes.

Virtual Surround, for the most part no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back