Is it possible to damage the AVR's electronics with an old turntable?
Jul 20, 2013 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

seanspamilton

New Head-Fier
  Hey all,  I'm about to send my new receiver back for exchange - but before I hook up my turntable again and potentially run into trouble,  is it possible to cause some kind of haywire electronic damage inside my  AVR with a turntable electrical surge of some sort?  For some reason when I plugged in my Dual cs 606 ( recently tuned up and ready to go ) into my new Marantz sr6007 - it created distortion on my HDMI inputs when they were selected,  even after I turned off the turntable.  It seemed like it was somehow picking up distortion from the phono amp built into the receiver on my hdmi inputs even though the turntable was no longer on.  Resetting the micro processor seemed to fix things for a while,  but then I just always got static over my inputs whether or not I ever plugged in the turntable.   I'm pretty sure it's a fault with the receiver's dsp's - BUT,  JUST to be sure - when I get the new one in exchange,  I don't want to plug the turntable in and bugger it up.  Do you think there was a slight chance the old Dual caused this problem?  - it WAS grounded to the receiver,    but was initially using some pretty low quality rca extentions - and it was initially plugged into a different outlet.  Beyond possibly creating a ground loop - again - could this short electronics out?

Jul 20, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 3
Has the turntable mains plug got two or three pins? If it is a two pin type then make sure it is plugged into the same mains outlet as the amp.
If it is a three pin type, then the ground wire in the mains plug is causing an earth loop.

Jul 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 3
It's got two plugs. I'll make sure this time its initially plugged into the.same socket, or perhaps a surge protector into the same socket, anything else that could potentially damage the avr?

Just a note.. although I'm returning the AVR this week for a replacement... I've been reading some threads that seem to indicate more then a few people have experienced ground noise through the amps on the Marantz 007 line of receivers ... here's hoping the new one is better, if not I guess it's just a design flaw and I'll have to get used to it ( and not put my ear up to the speakers constantly to see if It's gone after my tinkering )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back