Is it possible to beat the Etymotic ER-4s under $400? Decision help.
Oct 22, 2017 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TimSchirmer

Repelling digital infidels. (Would that be called the Digifadah?)
I'm a bit undecided about which IEM to buy as I'm from the old school days when you would just buy an Etymotic ER4s and forget everything else. I do suspect that IEM tech has gotten much better.

Here is what I'm considering so far.

AKG K3003 or Senn IE800 (street price)
64 Audio U2
JH Audio Angie
Westone W4
Duno DK-3001

Or should I just say screw it and get Etymotic ER-4XR?

I'd also consider customs from Clear Tune Audio, UFO and the like if the price is right and will legitimately sound better than the Etys.

The source will be a stock Astell & Kern AK100. I'm coming from an ATH-W1000x, but getting something smaller to be used at work. I don't need a super insane seal as I'll have to take them in and out of my ears at work occasionally.

Oct 23, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 4
The ER-4XR are incredible at what they do (very neutral tuning), and I don't think you'll find anything that betters it's neutrality in that price point.

The other options you mentioned are all much more colored. What kind of sound signature do you prefer, and what music do you listen to?

Out of all the options you mentioned, my favorite were the JH Angie. They have incredible mids, and you can change the bass dial to make them as warm and impactful as you'd like. The treble is a bit rolled off, but all the detail is there (it's just not as prominent as brighter IEMs). The only reason I sold them is because the housings are massive. I mention this because using them at work might turn out to be a hassle.

Oct 23, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #3 of 4
The AKGs and Sennheisers might prove to be too U shaped if you're used to the Ety sound signature. I've heard great things about the dk-3001, but the main complaint is that the housings use sharp edges that some users find uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back