Is it possible that my oldish AKG K545 are more detailed/analytical than HIFIMAN Sundara?
Apr 4, 2023 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

denfi

New Head-Fier
Side to side comparison of AKG K545 and HIFIMAN Sundara has surprised me. Instrument reproduction on the AKG is more natural sounding and detailed. The Sundara by comparison sound recessed and instrument separation is much worse, detail is lost that I heard 30 seconds earlier on the AKGs.

For instance, Radiohead -Reckoner, every instrument is separated, crisp, and distinguishable with the AKG and with the Sundara I struggle to isolate the quieter instruments, almost like they are around the corner.

The Sundara are warmer and do have more soundstage, as well as more bass extension and full mids. I expected them to blow away the AKGs. I don't dislike the Sundara, just expected more based on reviews.

Tested thoroughly with Radiohead - Reckoner, Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing, Ludovico Einaudi - Experience.

- Bad set of cans?
- I'm too used to closed back AKG K5## sound, I got comfortable with thin bodied overly critical sound and now interpret it as good?
- I just discovered I like a different sound signature?
- Apple dongle clipping a.k.a Need more power?
- K545 are hidden gem summit-Fi and I let the cat out of the bag...

I do have an Atom Amp+ coming tomorrow but I can't imagine that it will impact my impression to the degree that I think they are more technical than the AKG.

Assuming this is a fair representation of the Sundara, would Edition XS bring me closer to or hopeful surpass the AKG detailed sound while maintaining the bass and imaging/soundstage that I'm looking for? How about Ananda?

Notes:
K545: 32 ohms / 97 dB
Sundara 32 ohms / 94 dB
Both on Apple dongle at ~80 dB SPL as recorded from my phone next to the cans on the same song.

Apr 4, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 8
Yes, the Sundara benefits from more power, but I have similar impressions of it having heard other headphones... muffled, lacking detail, etc.

The Edition XS is definitely more detailed and airy. Haven't heard the Ananda to any degree to comment on it vs. the XS or Sundara.

Apr 4, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the feedback. Based on what I said, is there a pair in that $500 range that you would recommend?

I keep the closed back at my office in town. I got the Sundara because I was looking for a pair to use at my home office and saw the opportunity to try open backed headphones. So I'm thinking Edition XS maybe HD6XX or pass on the opens and go E-MU Teak or Denon 5200.

Apr 4, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the feedback. Based on what I said, is there a pair in that $500 range that you would recommend?

I keep the closed back at my office in town. I got the Sundara because I was looking for a pair to use at my home office and saw the opportunity to try open backed headphones. So I'm thinking Edition XS maybe HD6XX or pass on the opens and go E-MU Teak or Denon 5200.
If you want the best detail at that price, the XS of these. The Teak is v-shaped, the Denon is neutral and an excellent closed back, especially at the sub $300 used price. There's a reason I keep mine despite having much more resolving headphones.

HD6XX is going to lack clarity. It has a beautiful midrange and scales well, but that's it.

Apr 5, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks, I wish I could find the Denon for sub $300, I would buy them in a heartbeat. On ebay they are all $400+ right now. I guess I'll have to wait for Denon to dump them again around the holidays.

What would your recommend that's not on my list if I'm aiming for detail?

Maybe I'll order some Edition XS in the meantime to see if they fit my likes.

Apr 5, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 8
On the cheap, I'd look into Ultrasone. I've owned three of them and they all sound different, but all give a lot of detail and really wide soundstage, though they're somewhat fit dependent because of how they angle the drivers.

The real sub $500 king for me though is the Quad ERA-1. It does just about everything well, has plenty of detail, sounds open, has good bass extension. The only downside is it's huge--I have to put a headband pad on it just so it fits, without any extension. Also hard to find now for some reason--they were going for $400 used, which is when I found mine. Now I see them for $500+.

Apr 5, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 8

If you want to go second hand, the best buy you can find would be the Sennheiser HD540 Reference. Based on your choice of the AKG 545 over the Sundara (dynamic over planar drivers sound signature). These are amazing phones, Senns classics and top of the line for many years, three decades ago. Magic timbre and detail, conbinig the best of the 600 and 800 Senns lines, at a tenth of the price. The HD250 Linear are also a great choice (as their closed headphone alternative), but much harder to find and twice the price. If you chose this path, have patience and hunt for a pair preserved in as good as possible condition, with original ear pads. As strange as it seems after so many years, there are still pairs like these to be found - all you need is tenacity and patience, but the acoustic reward is huge IMO.
Look for the dedicated threads here on Head-Fi.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 8
Detail wise the Ollo Audio S4R (current version) is ridiculously good. BUT, the thing is allergic to bass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back