Is it POSSIBLE?(Dynamic and BA driver in one custom remold)
Apr 29, 2010 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

fraggerz

100+ Head-Fier
So i haven't posted in quite a while....and i suddenly got the idea of whether is it actually possible to fit or combine 2 drivers from 2 iems(e.g. RE0+UM3X) into one custom remold.
Or even say remove one driver from the UM3X just to fit the dynamic driver in?

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 10
I doubt it. Actually it's a big risk to remold dynamic drivers since their housing typically affects the way it sounds.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 10
Is it possible? Yes, UE did it with the now discontinued UE-hybrid. Can you do it with any two IEMs? No. While BA drivers are self contained (and use acoustic tubing to direct the sound), dynamic drivers are somewhat dependent on their specific enclosure for their sound signature, and cannot be taken out without both knowledge of the inside of the earpieces nor put into a custom without a proper shell.

So, no.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 10
don't think so. dynamic drivers are very much affected by the housing. i've tried transplanting a dynamic driver into another housing, and the sound signature was like night and day.

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #8 of 10
I'm honestly not sure. My guess is that it was probably expensive to make with no discernible improvement to a full BA design.

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #9 of 10
Why not house the dynamic driver in what is effectively a mold of the dynamic's original shell, and then have BA drivers fitted around that?

Sure it'd be hard as balls to pull off, especially on a continuously changing set of drivers, but I'd imagine that's how they did it.

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not house the dynamic driver in what is effectively a mold of the dynamic's original shell, and then have BA drivers fitted around that?

Sure it'd be hard as balls to pull off, especially on a continuously changing set of drivers, but I'd imagine that's how they did it.

It obviously can and has been done. Calibrating the crossover would be a nightmare compared to a multi BA phone I would imagine. I think a moving armature is the right track atm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back