Is it okay to put Asus Xonar STX in between two video cards?
May 11, 2011 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

buffguy

New Head-Fier
I'm debating to buy the Asus Xonar STX sound card, but the only place it would fit in my computer is between my two videocards.  Would placing the sound card in between the videocard create any problem with the soundcard, such as inference of some sort or any other problem? 

Would a seperate DAC/Amp such as the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 DAC be better than the Asus STX for gaming/listening to music on the computer?

http://www.mav-audio.com/

May 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 5
The Xonar's audio path is pretty well shielded, and I have not heard of any EMI problems with the card.  You should be fine.  Just make sure that your case has enough airflow to keep the Xonar and both videocards happy though.

As for the Maverick Audio TubeMagic, I have always been a fan of external solutions over internal sound cards when it comes to music, but once gaming (and presumably headsets) come into the picture, I find that a solid internal solution takes the cake.

The TubeMagic also has... a tube.  Which, while awesome for music, I am not so sure about for gaming.

I would go with the Xonar if you really need a solution for both.  The Xonar does sound nice, and you can make it sound even better by opamp rolling.  (Although, I would still throw the TubeMagic the music vote.)

May 12, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 5
I improved the noise quality and sound of course by coax out from my Audigy2 ZS sound card to my D1.

Ever since I discovered external DACs and stuff, I'm never going back to sound straight from the sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back