Is it okay to leave headphones plugged into powered source at all times?
May 15, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #16 of 31
Listen up. Ive been a guy such as you too, baby'ing all my gear for a long time, but it has no use. You will get a scratch and it will break eventually. All the great care has been for nothing then. Just use it how you should, dont be agressive - use it gently and you should have nothing to worry about. My cameras, lenses, phones, earphones, notebooks, tablets... call whatever and I will name it, I have babied it but at a certain point something will happen to it. Im at a point that my most expensive earphones get no use because Im afraid to break them: insane!!! So I completely understand you as I do myself and I am an idiot myself too, but again: it is insane. You will be much happier when just using your gear how you should instead of being afraid to break it. And if it then breaks.... your heart as least doesnt get broken. And yes, I am a student so I am trying to let my gear last as long as possible. But sometimes... sometimes something breaks.

May 15, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #17 of 31
  Listen up. Ive been a guy such as you too, baby'ing all my gear for a long time, but it has no use. You will get a scratch and it will break eventually. All the great care has been for nothing then. Just use it how you should, dont be agressive - use it gently and you should have nothing to worry about. My cameras, lenses, phones, earphones, notebooks, tablets... call whatever and I will name it, I have babied it but at a certain point something will happen to it. Im at a point that my most expensive earphones get no use because Im afraid to break them: insane!!! So I completely understand you as I do myself and I am an idiot myself too, but again: it is insane. You will be much happier when just using your gear how you should instead of being afraid to break it. And if it then breaks.... your heart as least doesnt get broken. And yes, I am a student so I am trying to let my gear last as long as possible. But sometimes... sometimes something breaks.

Thanks for knocking some sense into me. You're right, and I'm not even doing anything close to extreme with my gear. Not only that, but my Senn stuff has 2 year warranties and my Schiit stuff has 5 year warranties, so it's not even time yet to worry about them if I were ever to.

I even remember babying my old Momentum over-ear, just like you said, and when I eventually traded up to the Momentum Wireless, I wanted to see how durable they really were, and it turned out that you can actually bend the headband almost 180 degrees and it'll still retain it's shape. So I've been much less careful with my new Momentum Wireless.

May 18, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #18 of 31
I'm going to weigh in with this:

I unplug my headphones and put them away after using them.

I turn off all my SS amps and DACs after using.  I don't like leaving unattended stuff powered on. 

And Jack Woo told me not to keep his tube amps on for more than 8 hrs at a time. 

May 22, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #19 of 31

I'm asking if the headphones will be okay, I know the amp will be fine.

If there is no signal, why wouldn't they be fine?

What magical, baneful interaction are you afraid of?

May 22, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #20 of 31
Are you worried about that *pop* you hear through the headphones when you turn the amp off? Seems like that shouldn't add any more wear and tear than any other sound played through the headphones.

Does anyone know what causes that *pop* sound?

May 22, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #22 of 31
May 22, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #23 of 31

I don't get it, why is it so hard to push an off button?

Tubes take a long time to warm up.

So who leaves their tubes on all the time?

From the Woo web site:

17. Can I leave the amp on whole day long?
Never and never leave your amp on unattended. Due to various reasons such as power supply over-heating or tube failure, your amplifier can cause serious damage. For the safest use, please do NOT exceed maximum 10 hours of play time. Let the amplifier cool down completely for next listening session.

(When I spoke to Jack a few years ago it was 8 hrs, now he raised it to 10hrs...)

May 22, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #24 of 31

From the Woo web site:

Never and never leave your amp on unattended. Due to various reasons such as power supply over-heating or tube failure, your amplifier can cause serious damage. For the safest use, please do NOT exceed maximum 10 hours of play time. Let the amplifier cool down completely for next listening session.

(When I spoke to Jack a few years ago it was 8 hrs, now he raised it to 10hrs...)

Who leaves their tubes on all the time? I do.

I don't have a Woo.  

I have a Schiit Mjolnir 2.   Runs in Class A.  Schiit has no such warnings against leaving it on all the time.

May 22, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #25 of 31

From the Woo web site:

Who leaves their tubes on all the time? I do.

I don't have a Woo.  

I have a Schiit Mjolnir 2.   Runs in Class A.  Schiit has no such warnings against leaving it on all the time.

Is your Mjoinir a hybrid of some sort?  Does it use a regular tube or a "Linear, Integral Solid-State Tube", what ever that is (I wonder if anyone opened one up to see what's inside)? From what I understand, hybrids don't have much voltage going through the tubes so maybe leaving them on doesn't shorten their lives as much as it does with regular tube amps.  Maybe it's like the Peachtree tubes.  Still, leaving tubes on all the time can't be good for them since tube sound degrades over time.  Hybrids are a big I don't know for me.

EDIT:  I just looked up the life span of the NOS 6BZ7 tubes Schiit sells.  They rate them at 5000 hrs.  That translates to a life span of 208.33 days if you leave them on 24/7.

Edit to correct typos.

May 23, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #26 of 31
Reading all of this, one has to really wonder why American people have 200x African people's carbon print 
rolleyes.gif

Guys, act individually for the planet, instead of fearing for the reduced life of your audiophile devices !

I'm going to weigh in with this:

I unplug my headphones and put them away after using them.

I turn off all my SS amps and DACs after using.  I don't like leaving unattended stuff powered on. 

And Jack Woo told me not to keep his tube amps on for more than 8 hrs at a time. 

beerchug.gif

if you care for your 'headphones', just plug them in after powering on the amp (volume at minimum), and plug them out (volume at minimum) before shutting off the amp. That's all you need to do.

May 23, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #27 of 31
I always turn off my tube amps, my solid state I turn off when I know I won't be using them again for a while. My amps all have muting relays in them so I leave my phones plugged in most all the time.

May 29, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #28 of 31
  Reading all of this, one has to really wonder why American people have 200x African people's carbon print 
rolleyes.gif

Guys, act individually for the planet, instead of fearing for the reduced life of your audiophile devices !

Not just carbon footprint, there were threads before also about leaving everything running but instead of the wear and tear from switching gear on and off, it was because the threadstarters somehow think that bending over to flip a switch was just oh so much work. I mean you see people drive three blocks to the grocery store and then get handed a freaking motorized cart when they walk in, so it's not surprising that there are people who think that reaching for a switch takes too much effort.

May 29, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #29 of 31

rolleyes.gif

Not just carbon footprint, there were threads before also about leaving everything running but instead of the wear and tear from switching gear on and off, it was because the threadstarters somehow think that bending over to flip a switch was just oh so much work. I mean you see people drive three blocks to the grocery store and then get handed a freaking motorized cart when they walk in, so it's not surprising that there are people who think that reaching for a switch takes too much effort.

+1    Flipping switches and pushing buttons is not only hard work, it is also extremely time consuming. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back