Is it okay to connect/disconnect audio jack (3.5mm) frequently?
Jul 2, 2013 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chococya96

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know if this question was asked before but I was wondering if the frequent connecting and disconnecting of 3.5mm audio jack is okay?

I have a AKG-K702 annie which I use it mainly for desktop (FiiO E10 DAC) and gaming console (Astro Mixamp). For most of the time, I'll be on my desktop however from time to time, I'll switch it to console for playing games.
With that being said, I'll be disconnecting from my DAC and mixamp at least once per day (or every two days).

Would this damage the plug and the jack itself on DAC/amp? thus decreasing its lifespan?

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
I don't know if this question was asked before but I was wondering if the frequent connecting and disconnecting of 3.5mm audio jack is okay?

I have a AKG-K702 annie which I use it mainly for desktop (FiiO E10 DAC) and gaming console (Astro Mixamp). For most of the time, I'll be on my desktop however from time to time, I'll switch it to console for playing games.
With that being said, I'll be disconnecting from my DAC and mixamp at least once per day (or every two days).

Would this damage the plug and the jack itself on DAC/amp? thus decreasing its lifespan?

In my own experience, no. it wont damage the jack or the amp itself. I also frequently remove the jack of my headphones frequently, from the computer, to my phone, to my tab, and to my home stereo. So, as far as ive done this. No, it wont damage the jack. Just dont pull it out by the cord, if you do that, then it'll definitely be damaged.

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

In my own experience, no. it wont damage the jack or the amp itself. I also frequently remove the jack of my headphones frequently, from the computer, to my phone, to my tab, and to my home stereo. So, as far as ive done this. No, it wont damage the jack. Just dont pull it out by the cord, if you do that, then it'll definitely be damaged.

Alright, I guess it's okay to remove it frequently then.

Jul 5, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 8
It's not a bad idea to power off the device you're using it with though, just to avoid damage caused by shorting the contacts as you push/pull on the plug (however briefly it may be happening.)  Simply waiting until there isn't any sound coming through is probably more than sufficient though.

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
It's not a bad idea to power off the device you're using it with though, just to avoid damage caused by shorting the contacts as you push/pull on the plug (however briefly it may be happening.)  Simply waiting until there isn't any sound coming through is probably more than sufficient though.

I believe most correctly designed amps have a protection circuit. 
On the other hand many amps produce a pop / thump when powered on or off. I believe most of the time it isn't much to worry about as it's below the power usually used for listening to music. Some of them, though, send a pretty nasty voltage spike to the headphones.

Jul 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #6 of 8
In my experience with guitar amps 1/4 inputs. The jack gets loose which takes anywhere from around 9years to it never happens to most.  And when it gets loose its a simple bend it back easily.  For a 3.5mm I think its even harder to make it loose so you shouldn't have a problem and +1 to MayaTlab.

Jul 6, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 8
It's not the jack itself that's so much the problem, but the fact that these days, most all jacks are PC mount types and plugging and unplugging can put stress on the solder joints which can fail over time. Fortunately if that happens, it's usually not terribly difficult to get inside the unit and reflow the solder joints.

se

Aug 21, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 8
I will say it's been very common for me to have the top gold layer wear off my audio jacks after a while of connecting/disconnecting. Once that happens audio will tend to cut out from one or both channels and I have to find the exact right amount to turn the plug to get stereo back. So in that case yes, but it's just normal wear and tear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back