Is it ok to use the computer when transfering data to an external HD?
Feb 10, 2005 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Nikos

100+ Head-Fier
I wanted to transfer some data/files from one external HD to another. I am using firewire for this directly from one drive to the other.

My question is, say I am transfering music files or whatever, will my usage of the computer while simultenously transfering the data/mp3 files ruin those files that are being transfered? Is there a chance that some of the information can be lost, like when burning music to a CD at a fast rate, while using the computer, and thus causing the music to skip or be missing data?

Feb 10, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 5
There's no additional risk of data loss if you do other things during the transfer. It will take longer though. The copy is a background process, and the CPU dishes out processing time as appropriate. Buffering takes up any slack.

The same principle applies when burning/reading discs. As long as the process is close to the top of the priority list everything should be fine. This particular instance is the one time I don't really trust that theory though as I'm a little paranoid when it comes to getting perfect CD copies.

Feb 10, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikos
What do you mean exactly when you say top priority? Do I set it to be that way, or does it come naturally through the computers tasking?

A combination. It should be a higher priority by default given the real-time nature of writing a CD. I believe some burning/ripping programs also provide a slider where you can set the priority yourself.

Feb 10, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 5
Hard drive controllers have CRC built in now adays. There's no problems multi tasking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back