Is it normal that my new shure's line is pretty rigid?
Sep 28, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 13
If you mean cable than that's pretty much Shures crappy cables.

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibis99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you mean cable than that's pretty much Shures crappy cables.

Not true. Shure's cables on their current IEMs are fine. They did have problem with their cable formulation at one time, but that has been addressed for some time now. I had their older cable and, after two years, it finally stiffened and split. Shure replaced my SE530s with new ones with the new cables and they are fine. No stiffening at all.

abrocod: did your new SE530s come in a sealed retail package? I'm not sure what you mean by rigid, but when the old cables got stiff, they became hard and had no flexibility at all. The new ones are flexible. However, that doesn't mean you can tie them in knots. You may be expecting them to be much more flexible than they normally are.

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not true. Shure's cables on their current IEMs are fine. They did have problem with their cable formulation at one time, but that has been addressed for some time now. I had their older cable and, after two years, it finally stiffened and split. Shure replaced my SE530s with new ones with the new cables and they are fine. No stiffening at all.

abrocod: did your new SE530s come in a sealed retail package? I'm not sure what you mean by rigid, but when the old cables got stiff, they became hard and had no flexibility at all. The new ones are flexible. However, that doesn't mean you can tie them in knots. You may be expecting them to be much more flexible than they normally are.

I couldn't disagree more. Shure has had continuous issues with the SE530 that are still apparent today.

As for the "sealed retail box" if you did not purchase from a Shure authorized retailer you are not covered by any warranty. If you don't believe me just give Shure a call.

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungryduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've RMA'd my shure IEM's twice for bad cables and will be sending them in a third time this week.

As long as Shure ignores the issue I will ignore Shure.

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

As long as Shure ignores the issue I will ignore Shure.

They've changed the composition of their cables and they've also been very good about replacing cracked cables. What more do you want them to do?

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They've changed the composition of their cables and they've also been very good about replacing cracked cables. What more do you want them to do?

Fix the problem instead of sending you new IEM's until your warranty ends and Then providing you with nothing. They are $500 retail right?

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 13
As I already mentioned, Shure has attempted to fix the problem by changing the composition of their cables, which would indicate that they're not ignoring it. I've heard that cracking still occurs occasionally with the new cables, but not nearly as frequently as it once did. Also, I remember reading that when they replace a set of IEMs with cracked cables, the replacement comes with the same two-year warranty that comes with newly purchased IEMs. Not a bad deal.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Fix the problem instead of sending you new IEM's until your warranty ends and Then providing you with nothing. They are $500 retail right?

No, they have actually decreased in price. The best deal I could get from an authorized dealer was $299.99. You usually have to email or call for the lower price, since there is a minimum advertised price.

I almost bought the SE530s, but weren't sure they were for me.

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Shure has had continuous issues with the SE530 that are still apparent today.

What proof do you have of this? I take your statement to mean that they are having systemic problems with the reformulated cables stiffening and cracking. What's the evidence you have that there is a widespread problem with the new cables?

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What proof do you have of this? I take your statement to mean that they are having systemic problems with the reformulated cables stiffening and cracking. What's the evidence you have that there is a widespread problem with the new cables?

read the forum/owned a pair.

lets do a poll right here on head-fi.

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

lets do a poll right here on head-fi.

We did.

That was regarding the old cables. Since then, Shure reformulated the cables. From reading the forum, I have not seen any general trends of the new cables stiffening and breaking. Yes, there can always be outliers, but that is true for most IEMs. I think you are asserting a general problem with the new cables but don't have the evidence to back it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back