Is it normal that my MS-1s no longer sound good to me?
Jun 27, 2006 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

I3eyond

500+ Head-Fier
I don't know what it is, but they just don't sound worth a flip anymore. I mean, they sound "good", but they don't impress me at all anymore. Am I losing my hearing, or is this normal and it's time to upgrade?

Jun 27, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 23
Probably the initial 'new gear' effect is wearing off. For me this usually happens after i upgrade and keep the old thing. When i go back to it, it sounds bland and undetailed (probably because i keep getting more and more detailed as i go). But yes, i understand where you are coming from. May as well just get those PS-1's in the FS forum, that'll be where you end up anyway.

Jun 27, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 23
I use my computer as my source, and on the bass/treble slider, I have to set bass at 80% and treble at 100% to get any clarity. Perhaps I need more detailed cans to get the clarity with everything flat?

Jun 27, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #4 of 23
Our ears acclimate to certain SQs and sound signatures over time. It's perfectly normal to become less impressed with the sound as you grow used to it, but I don't think you should ever feel like the sound quality is regressing (at least, not over reasonably short intervals).

Anyway, there is a foolproof solution to your problem. It involves the following three steps:

1. Pack up those pesky MS-1's and ship them to me.
2. Get together a wad of cash about $1k thick.
3. Procure some GS-1000s.

The important step is #1: if you screw that one up, the rest of the process won't work.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Jun 27, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 23
Might want to try switching to bowl pads. I for one dont like the stock MS1 pads. To my ears they are very cluttered and conjested. Instruments tend to "mush" together in busy music passages.

PA2V2 is one of the more conjested amps I have heard. It has some nice bass bloat though, but lacks in midrange and treble detail.

yes a source upgrade never hurts.

its natural for your ears to become tuned to a certain level of quality... leaving you wanting more.

Garrett

Jun 27, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Might want to try switching to bowl pads. I for one dont like the stock MS1 pads. To my ears they are very cluttered and conjested. Instruments tend to "mush" together in busy music passages.

PA2V2 is one of the more conjested amps I have heard. It has some mice bass bloat though, but lacks in midrange and treble detail.

yes a source upgrade never hurts.

Garrett

Perhaps this is why i feel like increasing the treble and bass gives me more detail.

Seriously, when everything is flat, I can't hear ANYTHING. No bending of guitar strings.. sometimes I can't even hear cymbals crashing...

Jun 27, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #9 of 23
Our hearing is not constant from day to day or even hour to hour; sometimes we hear less high frequencies depending on the time of day or the day itself. My suggestion would be for you to put down your headphones and just give um a couple of days. Hopefully when you come back to them they'll sound great again.

Jun 27, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by I3eyond
Perhaps this is why i feel like increasing the treble and bass gives me more detail.

Seriously, when everything is flat, I can't hear ANYTHING. No bending of guitar strings.. sometimes I can't even hear cymbals crashing...

Your ears have tuned in to that sound. Wait for couple of days without listening with your headphones, switch sliders to default and force yourself to listen them like that. In few weeks, when you turn the sliders up again, they will either sound like **** and you return to default flat and realise you can hear all the details in that too. Or it might give the wow effect again if you really did like that "tweaked" treble&bass boosted sound, who knows.

Jun 27, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #11 of 23
I still; after three months, still find my MS-1s to be as good as they were after the first couple weeks.

Maybe even better!

The kids think they "Look" different today though.

I bought them with the idea of them simply being a test case to see if I enjoyed the sound.

I do!

The kids wonder why I have a total of four individual packages of instant hot cocoa stuffed into the band behind the cans.

......simulating the extra 100grams of the MS2i!!

But interestingly; I do notice a difference in sound almost from day-to-day. One day a reference CD(to me)will sound great, the next, a bit off.

I notice it more with phones than I do with speakers.

When I buy new speakers though, I almost expect to be disapointed! Some speakers I have tried were great when I first set them up, but after a couple weeks there was often some little characteristic that tended to be actually annoying! And often it was just the thing that made them stand out in the first place!!

I've had my current speakers for a couple of years now.

Happy speakers.

Happy cans.

Happy Dude!!

Jun 27, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 23
Hmm.....my MS-1 still sounds good to me. In fact they get quite a bit of playtime even though I have "better" headphones.

Jun 27, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Hmm.....my MS-1 still sounds good to me. In fact they get quite a bit of playtime even though I have "better" headphones.

^ I echo this persons comments, and avy..
icon10.gif
GO BLUE!!
icon10.gif

The MS-1's are kick butt cans at their respective price, and work well with cheapo PCDP's that you can pick up at BB...I think Sony's new one is the dark blue with MP3 and weather tuner....the MS-1s work awesome with them as I run around the house, or do chores outside..
I listen to them frequently, and like Teer says, sometimes more than my "better" cans because of the convenience and total cost of ownership of time in general to fire up the mains and ready the flanks,amps, and source...

Jun 27, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #14 of 23
Nothing is wrong with you, you have listened to them so much that perhaps you are now spoiled. Put them down and go back to ibuds for a month. Then come back to the MS-1s and fall in love all over again. If that doesn't cure the problem then perhaps your 'hearing pallette' has changed and matured and as such has become more sophisticated. Maybe trying out a new sound signature will shake things up a bit for you.

It is this exact reason why I keep multiple headphones in my stash - if I grow too accustomed to a particular phone, I switch to another to change things up a bit.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back