Is it normal for Ultimate Ears CSX 18+ to sound like ass?
Sep 10, 2021 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

hierobryan

Head-Fier
I got these two years ago: https://custom.ultimateears.com/products/ue-18

When I first put them on I was extremely underwhelmed and tried returning them but UE wanted to charge a return fee so I kept them. They sound super muffled and boring across the whole frequency range, like lows and highs were decreased and mid-range bumped up, with little detail and separation. I'm listening to Tidal tracks through a Topping D10 DAC and Liquid Spark amp. Fit/seal is fine and it's very comfortable. I don't understand how so many people say they hear details they haven't heard before because I'm just not hearing it. Every single one of my headphones sound better than these including a KZ AS10, KZ ATE, Shure SE530, Samsung Buds+, Triple.FI, Grado PS500e, 325i, Beyer 1990 Pro, 1770 Pro, Hifiman HE4XX, and HD 58X.
Is my CSX 18+ defective or do they normally sound this way?

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 9
I noticed two components in the left piece may be shorted out. One of the solder points on the black square box labeled 155D (4 way crossover?) is touching a solder point on the black rectangular piece labeled 10R0 (or 1ORO). I used a loupe and as far as I can tell they're touching. Right side isn't touching. The pieces aren't loose, it was assembled this way. Anyone know if this would cause a muffled/veiled sound from both ear pieces?

Attachments

• UE1.jpg
    UE1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • UE2.jpg
    UE2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • UE3.jpg
    UE3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 9
Sep 11, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 9
https://backstage.ultimateears.com/out-of-warranty-repair-request.html

^^^ Just Add to Cart on the Repair for $99. Send USPS. Quick turnaround.

From there you can try to convince them it's no fault of your own and maybe they will drop the repair charge.

I had a repair charge dropped, but it was for something simple and I upgraded to another CIEM at the same time.

YMMV

Oct 14, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 9
Just an update if anyone cares...

Got them back yesterday and they sound sooooo much better. Now I know there was definitely something wrong with them. I now think they're actually pretty good - a bit lacking in bass but still nicely detailed and enjoyable to listen to. Here's what UE did:

Too Loose Fit Adjusted
Miscellaneous : Clean debris and natural oils
Miscellaneous: Test and Clean
Canal Length Adjusted (shortened)
Component Replaced: Driver

Oct 14, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 9

Got them back yesterday and they sound sooooo much better. Now I know there was definitely something wrong with them. I now think they're actually pretty good - a bit lacking in bass but still nicely detailed and enjoyable to listen to. Here's what UE did:

Too Loose Fit Adjusted
download the SoundID, App go with the audio test, and you will see that those iems, will sound better.

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 9

Too Loose Fit Adjusted
Aloha, So were the charges dropped?

Also, reminder with Customs like the CSX:

1. Pull down on your ear flap
2. Lightly push in further and hold
3. Let go of ear flap
4. Let go of hold on light push

Should improve bass performance.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #9 of 9
Aloha, So were the charges dropped?

Also, reminder with Customs like the CSX:

1. Pull down on your ear flap
2. Lightly push in further and hold
3. Let go of ear flap
4. Let go of hold on light push

Should improve bass performance.
Howzit. Thanks for the tip.
I paid for it. I didn't bother asking since the repair was done out of warranty and I have no way to prove it sounded like crap when I first got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back