Is it just me?
Jan 7, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #16 of 25
I quit on mp3 10 years ago. FLAC is it. The only question is, have you started down the path of Hi-Res FLAC files? One of my friends won't listen to anything but Hi-Res. However, until they get more music recorded in Hi-Res format, I'll stick with Redbook FLAC and listen to Hi-Res when I can get it.

Yes, there is a difference - especially as your equipment gets better. Better equipment, the easier it is to tell a difference. I'm not so sold on the differences between Redbook and Hi-Res, though. All things being equal, a hi-res file - if recorded that way - sounds a bit cleaner and more airy than Redbook. However, there's a world of quality range with just Redbook. Some recordings are at a bit rate very close to 24-88, some are closer to a high-bit-rate mp3. A very high-quality Redbook recording is very, very difficult to distinguish from a Hi-Res, while the reverse is also true: a very poor Redbook is indistinguishable from a high-bit-rate mp3. The mastering really does make a difference.

I think that's why you'll find so many arguments claiming high-bit mp3 is just as good as Redbook, which is just as good as Hi-Res. It all depends on what you're listening to and how it was recorded.

I think sticking with FLAC at a minimum Redbook quality, then augmenting your collection with Hi-Res (when you can get it in an artist you want) is the best way to go.

DSD? I'm not that experienced in it, but what I've heard natively doesn't impress me anymore than PCM. BTW, unless you are listening with a native-DSD DAC, it's converting it into PCM anyway. If you can't tell any difference, it's not surprising.

At some point it will not be about difference but availability. Some music are only available as slightly compressed Spotify Premium, MQA Tidal, 24/96 FLAC masters from HDTracks etc, and CD. Meaning the only way to get Redbook is either you're using Spotify or you still have a CD drive somewhere to rip a disc. Given a live in a country where I'd have to import good CDs, unless it's an important enough album for me to have a physical copy of, I'd probably just download the 24/96 from HDTracks.

Not really a problem anymore since there's a reason why they're not offering Redbook FLAC on newer releases: even smartphones can read 24/96 now. You'd have to still be using an older DAC (which might not even have USB input) or CDP to even have to use 16/44.1 lossless or CD.

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #17 of 25
I can absolutely distinguish a difference. As stated prior, the original recording has a ton of influence on the presentation. That's why I 1st try to find a remastered CD before converting files.
Funny I have better luck with the original 1st CD pressings. Not as hot normally.

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #18 of 25
It's a toss up for me, I recently got some hi-res Led Zeppelin albums on Flac and they destroyed my regular red book ripped flacs that I used to listen to. So I was totally sold and thinking hi-res files were the ultimate way to go but I then received some hi-res Miles Davis Dsd files and really couldn't tell much difference. Actually I think I preferred my regular old red book ripped Flacs. So I don't know the answer to this one.

Jan 7, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #19 of 25
It's a toss up for me, I recently got some hi-res Led Zeppelin albums on Flac and they destroyed my regular red book ripped flacs that I used to listen to. So I was totally sold and thinking hi-res files were the ultimate way to go but I then received some hi-res Miles Davis Dsd files and really couldn't tell much difference. Actually I think I preferred my regular old red book ripped Flacs. So I don't know the answer to this one.

Right because the Redbook 16/44.1 was most likely the 1993 box set. The 1993 box set is the worst thing ever. I have that too, but there is more Zeppelin out there. There was CD pressings before what we call the first remaster.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_Studio_Recordings_(Led_Zeppelin_album)
This remaster was easy to better.

I’m not saying I don’t like the new hi-res Zeppelin, but I find myself listening to German First Pressing vinyl needle drops. Been listening to them for a year. In my opinion they are better than the new hi-res.....as they sound balanced like the original vinyl album does. Though they are also 24/96 recordings.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #20 of 25
I know what you mean about that 1993 Led Zeppelin box set. I own that one too but never listen to it. The mastering was terrible. No I had some of the earlier red book albums.

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #21 of 25
I know what you mean about that 1993 Led Zeppelin box set. I own that one too but never listen to it. The mastering was terrible. No I had some of the earlier red book albums.

The new remasters are exciting. And the first CDs were good..........it’s all good except that 1993 box set......lol. We are so lucky!

Jan 7, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #22 of 25
At some point it will not be about difference but availability. Some music are only available as slightly compressed Spotify Premium, MQA Tidal, 24/96 FLAC masters from HDTracks etc, and CD. Meaning the only way to get Redbook is either you're using Spotify or you still have a CD drive somewhere to rip a disc. Given a live in a country where I'd have to import good CDs, unless it's an important enough album for me to have a physical copy of, I'd probably just download the 24/96 from HDTracks.

Not really a problem anymore since there's a reason why they're not offering Redbook FLAC on newer releases: even smartphones can read 24/96 now. You'd have to still be using an older DAC (which might not even have USB input) or CDP to even have to use 16/44.1 lossless or CD.

When I refer to Redbook FLAC, I mean ripping CDs, or downloading FLAC files that can be traced back to the CD. There are outstanding new artists that release music every day. Unfortunately, very few of them have their music processed in Hi-Res. For the time being, CDs are still the format if you want "full" quality. HDTracks is fine for The Beatles, Stones, and Elvis (admittedly an exaggeration), but woefully inadequate for new music. Tidal is fairly comprehensive, but without download ability, ripping directly is problematic. It reminds me of the old days of ripping LPs with your cassette deck - not a good solution if you're looking for unadulterated, quality music. It may not be the most prominent medium overall these days, but for the best quality (no mp3) of all types of music - CDs remain the benchmark and the most readily available music source.

P.S. Believe it or not, I find many first-run CDs (even from US artists) available from overseas sources rather than in the states. Thankfully, many of those are priced competitively with say, Amazon.

P.P.S. I can think of a couple of artists right off the bat who have over a dozen published CDs through the years without one hi-res file available anywhere for their music. It's frustrating, but at least you can find their CDs - sometimes at a price, though.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #23 of 25
When I refer to Redbook FLAC, I mean ripping CDs, or downloading FLAC files that can be traced back to the CD. There are outstanding new artists that release music every day. Unfortunately, very few of them have their music processed in Hi-Res.

Many don't even bother with CDs nowadays though - they use a 24/96 or 24/192 interface at home and then release them somewhere online to bypass all the record company bull. I guess this is where we differ because among people I know if it isn't a relatively small outfit (I'm more into Nuclear Blast because metal) vs Sony-BMG for example my friends are getting their music just online. The hilarious part is that some process in high res and then released them in MP3.

For the time being, CDs are still the format if you want "full" quality. HDTracks is fine for The Beatles, Stones, and Elvis (admittedly an exaggeration), but woefully inadequate for new music.

My projections for how the future is likely to go is how some like Dream Theater released their album only in CD, BluRay, FLAC 24/96, and Spotify - basically the only 16/44.1 options were the CD and Spotify. I want the CD copy for the sake of having a physical copy but I went for the 24/96 FLAC because shipping is extremely prohibitive.

And then I was surprised to find out recently that some Koreans were releasing BluRays in Japan, although in Japanese. Which I considered possibly indicative of that future since I normally thought this is the kind of music where most listeners only add on Spotify (not even download, thanks to iPhone popularity...but then again even some of the people on Android don't either, and use the expandable memory just for the camera) and it would normally be the card carrying fan club members who buy the actual CDs.

P.S. Believe it or not, I find many first-run CDs (even from US artists) available from overseas sources rather than in the states. Thankfully, many of those are priced competitively with say, Amazon.

P.P.S. I can think of a couple of artists right off the bat who have over a dozen published CDs through the years without one hi-res file available anywhere for their music. It's frustrating, but at least you can find their CDs - sometimes at a price, though.

I try to get stuff from Japan and Europe. Europe because most of the bands are there, Japan because they have the better quality mastering on their CDs or outright exclusive live recording releases. For American bands I'm fine with US CDs. But in the end I'd go HDTracks or some other service (had to use a French site hosted in Quebec to get Melissa Auf Der Maur's album; and then CDBaby to get the digital copy of a Slovenian metal band) sincce shipping (plus predatory customs officials) will really torpedo the cost of CDs.

And then at some point I realized this is the new norm in 2016 when I bought a laptop without an optical drive and most desktop cases don't have them; and those that do are either gigantic ATX, tiny HTPC mITX, or older cases where you can't color match the drive to the case and no doors. Or still large ATX case that have a door like the Fractal Define Rx series or the slim optical drive Silverstone Fortress cases that have their own idiotic design flaws (FT-03 can quickly turn to negative pressure while blower cards are back out of the equation thanks to Tensor Cores adding to the heat output; FT-05 has an idiotic window that shows the mustard and ketchup cables inside or has too thick panels and sound dampening that I can't fit a large air cooler that will allow me to use the bottom intake fan spots for a 280mm or 360mm rad for the GPU).

Jan 7, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #24 of 25
Yes, I agree with all of that. I probably should've used the word, "released" instead of "processed." I'm sure most music is recorded at hi-res these days. Unfortunately, what's actually released is different. What gripes me is what I alluded to above. There are established American artists where hi-res files are impossible to locate - any! Patty Larkin and Gretchen Peters come to mind, to name just a couple.

Yes, from what I've seen - the Japanese CDs are of the highest quality. I am not that familiar with Spotify, but I agree that CD is a dying medium. If Spotify at least offers 16-bit, 44.1kHz, then that may be the way to go. I've been disappointed in the offerings with HDtracks and others and as I said, ripping from Tidal is less than ideal.

BTW, I've been surprised at how well a $30 external USB CD drive works with almost any laptop. I have one at home and one at work - simply to rip CDs, nothing else, and it stays in the cabinet except when used for that.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #25 of 25
I agree with Tomb on the fact that japanese cd's always seem to be of high quality. I just got most of the Pink floyd collection from Japanese reissues and they are clearly better than my origianl cd's that I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back