Is it just me?
May 23, 2003 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bjjp2

100+ Head-Fier
When I listen to my Eggo's and my Ety's (both with an iPod), the high-end hurts my ears. I've been using treble reducer EQ setting on the iPod. Is this a problem people commonly have with these phones? Or are my ears particularly sensitive to high frequency? (I've actually lost a lot of high frequency hearing in one ear, so if anything I would think I would be less sensitive). By the way, I've used these phones through a SuperMini V.5 and I find it only accentuates the high end and makes it even more painful.

May 23, 2003 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 12
what bitrates are your mp3s encoded in?
the fact is that some improperly ripped mp3s are just a pain.. so you just have to live with it.
Try getting a darker natured phone.. like dt250 . It rolls off the highs slightly and is known to be good for mp3s and stuffs.
etys are too detailed.. they will present you everyfault with your mp3s.. it isn't going to cut it

May 23, 2003 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Guyferd
what bitrates are your mp3s encoded in?

LAME --alt-preset standard or extreme.
Could this also be a characteristic of the iPod?

May 23, 2003 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by AIM9x
i've already claimed on the forums many times that etys + ipod = very high brightness. If you didn't take my advice, that's what you get.

Well, I love the ETY's. Just need a little treble reduction. Don't like the Eggo's at all. Very crisp, but no bass and treble is harsh to my ears. (My opinion only. Don't want to get flamed by the Eggo crowd).

May 23, 2003 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 12
i never said you didn't love your etys. just saying that with the ipod, you need a warm amp to counteract the intense brightness.

i'm also glad you posted because now I'm not the only one who finds the pair a little too bright for comfort.

Try hooking up a cha47 to it (if you have one, of course). It should add a bit of warmness to the mix and helped me enjoy the ipod+ety combo a lot more.

May 23, 2003 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 12
Yeah, I would reccommend changing your amp. BTW I have my MP3s ripped in 192 but I actually have them ripped in AAC which at 128 is higher quality than 320 MP3. SO mine are very close to CD quality. Keep the Etys, yu will love them once you get everything in order.

May 23, 2003 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Knocturnal
Yeah, I would reccommend changing your amp. BTW I have my MP3s ripped in 192 but I actually have them ripped in AAC which at 128 is higher quality than 320 MP3. SO mine are very close to CD quality. Keep the Etys, yu will love them once you get everything in order.

Are they 192 MP3's or 128 AAC's? Also, where did you get the idea that 128 AAC's are better than 320 MP3's? Every comparison I've ever read (including by some on this forum) says 128 AAC's are comparable to 160-192 MP3's.

May 23, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #9 of 12
I have them ripped at 192 AAC which is compared to 320+ MP3. I must confess that I heard this on the apple site or at th apple store but I found a website that had some interesting charts on the performance of each and it showed that 128 AAC is as good as 320MP3. Hope this clears things up.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2003 at 7:37 PM Post #10 of 12
if you add extra padding to the pads, thereby putting the driver further from your ear, does the high end get tamed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back