Is it just me or people starting to get greedy on eBay?
Feb 26, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #16 of 26
unfortunately, this is hard to proof especially if the seller can do it remotely. (in cybercafe, public computer, or with the partner staying in another country) in the end, they can eve mutually agree to cancel the deal without any fees made to ebay
rolleyes.gif
did i give too much idea? sorry...i love loopholes...but i've never done it before.

Feb 26, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #17 of 26
"it's obvious that the user with (0) feedback is another account the seller made."

You don't know that, you're making an assumption.

To publicly call someone dishonest you should have more that assumptions.

You’re also seeing a newbie’s behavior or just a heckler- bid something up knowing it’ll sell for more.

Mitch

Feb 26, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
"it's obvious that the user with (0) feedback is another account the seller made."

You don't know that, you're making an assumption.

To publicly call someone dishonest you should have more that assumptions.

You’re also seeing a newbie’s behavior or just a heckler- bid something up knowing it’ll sell for more.

Mitch

Oh c'mon.
Guy who registered in Sept 2004.
Has no feedback.
Bids like a crazy man.

Can I say DUH?
confused.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #20 of 26
i only bid twice at most, i bid early to get a low price. if that doesn't go through i bid one last time if the item's worth it, or if i really want the item. of course, 30 seconds before the bidding ends

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #21 of 26
i read somewhere that in a well-watched auction with informed bidders, the winning bidder always overpays. that's why i always look for buy it nows - nip all that stuff in the bud.

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #22 of 26
It's a mechanism for price discovery. I'm puzzled why people are so bothered by it. If you really want the good, then pay for it. It just means the seller is getting the maximum value for the good, rather than you profiting from the fortunate happenstance that there isn't another bidder who values the good a penny less. It incentivizes sellers to put goods for sale, which is a good thing.

Best regards,

-Jason

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #23 of 26
Here in New Zealand we have this, but its far more controlled and a far larger amount of bannings occur.

www.trademe.co.nz, its an NZ version of Ebay, very large within the country esp for the population. They use various methods of detection and well, yes just ban accounts or warn them.

Ebay is just so huge and difficult to police...

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek
The fact that eBay makes more money off the final value fee if the amount is higher can easily explain why this is still happening. IP logging would negate this immediately. eBay would just rather reap the extra profit.

Problem with IP logging is those who bid from public places. Library, WI-FI at a coffee shop, etc

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:31 AM Post #25 of 26
Mar 30, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #26 of 26
Many here are familiar with sniping be it done manually or automatically. Many here also snipe including myself. That method doesn't always guarantee a win as it would depend on your max and the max of the current high bidder. Yeah, that particular auction looks very suspicious especially since the bidder with the 0 feedback has been a Ebay member since 2004. Two years is a lot of time for a member to be considered a newbie, he probably knew what he was doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back