is it just me or does onboard audio sounds way better than the sb omni?
Dec 3, 2014 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gerpogi

Head-Fier
Ok guys before I get flamed , I am not a audio expert. I've only owned 3 mid fi headphones , fidelio x1 , hd598's and the m50's.Ive only used mysb omni as my dac . I was planning to get te xonar dx for my pc . Out of curiosity I tried out my onboard audio, asrock h97m pro4 (I believe is an alc 892), and blew my mind. Imo it sounded waaaay cleaner than my sb omni and has more tamed bass. Amp wise , sb omni still is better but my onboard holds out just fine.

Now after that incident , I'm hesitating whether I should go ahead and buy the xonar xd or not. Will it be better than onboard or is the difference not worth it?

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 3
Ok guys before I get flamed , I am not a audio expert. I've only owned 3 mid fi headphones , Fidelio x1 , hd598's and the m50's.Ive only used my SB Omni as my DAC . I was planning to get to Xonar DX for my PC . Out of curiosity I tried out my on-board audio, Asrock h97m pro4 (I believe is an ALC 892), and blew my mind. Imo it sounded waaaay cleaner than my SB Omni and has more tamed bass. Amp wise , SB Omni still is better but my on-board holds out just fine.
Now after that incident , I'm hesitating whether I should go ahead and buy the Xonar DX or not. Will it be better than on-board or is the difference not worth it?

I'm guessing Asrock did a decent job with your motherboard's on-board audio
The SB Omni has a SNR 0f 100, so it's not an award winner.
(I'm assuming the SB Omni uses the DAC feature built into it's SoundCore3D audio processor)
Where as the Xonar DX with it's CS4398 DAC chip has a SNR of around 114:)
I'm an Xonar fan, but you might consider getting the Sound Blaster Z.
The SB-Z comes with the SoundCore3D, but also comes with a CS4398 DAC chip:)
Also the SB-Z's headphone jack's output impedance (22-Ohms) is way lower then the Xonar DX's (100-Ohms).
Usually the lower the output impedance, the better the amplifier works with the headphones.

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the suggestion! Reason why I wanted to Check out xonars was because I liked using dolby vss when I still had my logitech g930. Such crappy headset made awesome just by adding surround sound. I don't necessarily want surround sound for fps games and such since I don't really play fps games. What I do love is getting immersed in the game .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back