Is it easy to move from headphones to IEM's?
Mar 16, 2007 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

canadien

New Head-Fier
So far for last few years I have used sennheiser px100 for my mp3 player, but its time to replace them, and I am leaning toward V moda vibes canalphones, but will these be easy transition?

What will be the biggest backdraw, when using canalphones vs headphones?

I'm just afraid the issue about, how this wil affect my ears, is it safe to put phones so close to ears?

Any feedback concernning this will be greatly appreciated!!

Mar 16, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #2 of 14
The biggest change with a good pair of IEMs is soundstage, IMO. But move? Why not use both?
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 14
There's nothing about IEMs that make them inherently unsafe. It's not the proximity to the inner workings of your ears that is the problem, but the decibels that you expose them to.

Actually, using IEMs may be better for your ears than the PX100. Because IEMs provide isolation (ie., outside noise will not compete with your music), you can listen at lower volumes than you could with the open PX100.

I prefer the sound of full size headphones to IEMs, but IEMs have their uses so I keep some on hand.

Mar 16, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 14
I think the biggest difference is comfort, and you probably will too at first. In fact, I never really got used to using IEM's...so I went back to headphones.

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the biggest difference is comfort, and you probably will too at first. In fact, I never really got used to using IEM's...so I went back to headphones.

x2 on the comfort. I do not have any issues going back and forth, both have pros and cons. But it does take a bit to used to something sitting in your ear. In the summer I prefer the iems simply for heat and walking around.

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Haha, sometimes I actually use the UM2s simply for the sake of comfort, not having something trapping heat around your ears or a weight sitting on your head
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #7 of 14
canadien,

I just made almost the exact transition you are discussing: moved from px200to vibes.

The transistion was much easier than I thought it would be. The most difficult part was the first 2 or 3 days. When you make the switch, give it at least 2 weeks before you decide IEMs are or are not right for you. I got the vibes from a place that has a 30 day return policy -- and I planned to give them a solid chance for a month and if I really didn't like it, I'd return them after that.

The first couple of days I was skeptical.

But after I spent a few hours really trying to figure out issues like: routing the cables in a way that works well for me, re-adjusting my mp3 player settings to the iem's, and experimenting with different covers from the iem's, -- after I did that for about 3 days, I like my iems WAY MORE than the headphones.

Much easier to walk around town with. I live in a big city -- I usually simply remove one of them when I cross streets - I like to be safe like that. And you can pause the mp3 player and have brief conversations with people in stores, etc without removing the iems. You'll figure out things like this, over time.

I'm converted now, I'll keep my iems for mobile, and headphones for home.

The one issue I am still working on is this: The iems are great for about 4 hours per day, but if I wear them more than that, my ears seem to hurt just a bit. I never have that problem with headphones.

hm. anyone have any ideas? experiment more with different covers?

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by music065 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
canadien,

I just made almost the exact transition you are discussing: moved from px200to vibes.

The transistion was much easier than I thought it would be. The most difficult part was the first 2 or 3 days. When you make the switch, give it at least 2 weeks before you decide IEMs are or are not right for you. I got the vibes from a place that has a 30 day return policy -- and I planned to give them a solid chance for a month and if I really didn't like it, I'd return them after that.

The first couple of days I was skeptical.

But after I spent a few hours really trying to figure out issues like: routing the cables in a way that works well for me, re-adjusting my mp3 player settings to the iem's, and experimenting with different covers from the iem's, -- after I did that for about 3 days, I like my iems WAY MORE than the headphones.

Much easier to walk around town with. I live in a big city -- I usually simply remove one of them when I cross streets - I like to be safe like that. And you can pause the mp3 player and have brief conversations with people in stores, etc without removing the iems. You'll figure out things like this, over time.

I'm converted now, I'll keep my iems for mobile, and headphones for home.

The one issue I am still working on is this: The iems are great for about 4 hours per day, but if I wear them more than that, my ears seem to hurt just a bit. I never have that problem with headphones.

hm. anyone have any ideas? experiment more with different covers?

Try foam tips, they are the most comfortable. I would imagine they are made for the vibe.

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #9 of 14
The right size ear tip is important -- you don't want to use a tip that's too big, but it should be big enough to fit snugly in the ear and still create a "sound chamber." But I think in general canal phone and IEM comfort is not the problem many think it's going to be ... instead, I think fullness, richness and soundstage can be issues for some people.

I hadn't owned decent headphones when I got my first canal phones and Shure and Etymotic IEMs, so the sound signatures of those earphones and especially the isolation of the IEMs impressed me. I've since gotten Sennheiser PX 100 and Sennheiser HD 555 headphones, and it has occurred to me that if I had gotten the two Sennheisers first and then gotten IEMs, I might have been a bit disappointed, particularly at first, by the less-physical impact of the earphone sound. It's harder to match sound signature (and price!) when comparing in-ears to headphones.

By the way, I've tried my friend's Vibes on several portable players, and I think they're enjoyable and that they make an attempt to "open up" the sound of in-ear earphones. They're small and, for me at least, comfortable. As other posters have said, it can be nice in hot weather or when on the go to listen to the very small, portable in-ears instead of having headphones on.

Mar 16, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #10 of 14
to me, three things. that's money, weather and isolation. i perfer my hfi-550 to um2, maybe even k81 than um2 in sound quality but in summer time, i know i much rather have ibud than k81/hfi-550. lucky i don't have to. also i can never live with any open clip, bud or headphone no matter how good they are when i'm outside.

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #12 of 14
I own Sony Fontopias (haven't listened to them in well over a year, but they were an encouraging first step up from bundled earbuds) and have tested my friend's Vibes -- I like the Vibes a lot more. It's up to the individual user to decide whether they're $50 - $60 better.

I prefer the Vibes' "Y" cords, and the Sonys are well known for cord issues (the coating peels off many of them -- I've been spared that, but I've seen it on friends' Sonys, and it isn't pretty). In my opinion, with the right size ear tips for stable fit and semi-isolation, the Sony's are the most comfortable I've tried, but the Vibes are similar in that regard. Also, the Vibes have better detail and make an effort to sound more "open" than most in-ears.

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #13 of 14
hmm...well, I'll comment on this thread. I went from PX200 --> Shure e3c's. I've had the IEM's for like 3 weeks now...and I just don't know. The above poster was spot on with the comfort. The first few day's I hated them as they were extremely uncomfortable. I switched to the foam tips and they're not too bad.

Another point is that everytime you put them in you have to make sure you get a perfect seal or else they'll sound like ass. You do eventually get used to this but it can be annoying at times.

They isolate sound extremely well, I live in Boston and I can't here anything else but my music when I'm walking around with these on. I now look both ways when crossing the street
icon10.gif

But, the main reason I won't be sticking with the IEM's is simply...I don't think the sound quality is really that great. The bass, albeit clean, is dismal and I really just think my px200's sounded alot better, and for 1/3 of the price. to each their own, but if your intersted in a pair of shure e3c's, shoot me a PM
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back