Is it bad to use headphones directly from the iPod dock?
Sep 28, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 11
Okay, you know what dB is? I'm not lecturing you. dB is the way sound noise is measured. Line-out is 0 dB; at least on Rockbox that's what it's called after being upped from a -58 dB point (silent).

Thus, 0 dB is damn loud. It's like your iPod volume turned...idk a little more than 95% up or so?

Believe me, it'll hurt with pretty much any headphone. It doesn't with my K701, but still...it'll hurt.
basshead.gif

Sep 28, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
Okay, you know what dB is? I'm not lecturing you. dB is the way sound noise is measured. Line-out is 0 dB; at least on Rockbox that's what it's called after being upped from a -58 dB point (silent).

Thus, 0 dB is damn loud. It's like your iPod volume turned...idk a little more than 95% up or so?

Believe me, it'll hurt with pretty much any headphone. It doesn't with my K701, but still...it'll hurt.
basshead.gif

Well, yes, I know what a true line-out is supposed to be. I'm saying however that the dock was not what I expected. I always thought the iPod dock was supposed to be a fixed volume line-out. But strangely, I can change the volume. As a matter of fact, I can turn down the volume to silent. Is this something new for the 2G Nano? (The fact that you can control the volume out of the dock's line-out using the iPod's volume wheel.)

However. I had the impression that low volume doesn't necessarily mean it's safe. (Dealing with loads and the such.)

Edit: As a matter of fact, could it be that the new Nano's dock-out is no longer a line-out? However, the sound quality out of the dock is noticeably better than out of the headphone-out at the same volume.

Sep 28, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 11
Interesting...iirc (I use that saying a lot now...), only a true line-out can never be adjusted from the source. Only an amp is able to adjust the stright load.

Sep 28, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 11
It depends on a couple of factors (one of which I cannot answer, not having a 2G nano)

With the 5G, there are two line out options, one - fixed, and one variable - the iPod remote uses the variable one, and a standard dock connector uses the fixed one...

...Could the 2G have these the other way around or something, that would make a line-level dock not line level?

Sep 28, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by blueworm
Looking at the pin out HERE
There is only 1 set of line out pins.
However the ipod will behave differently depending on the value of the resitor across gnd and pin 21.

thats interesting, where can i find more info on this?

Sep 29, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #11 of 11
All I have found so far is on that sheet.

Code:

Code:
[left] 21 connected to ground via a resistor. Different resistances indicate which accessory is connected. Known resistances/functions (Ohms) are as follows: 1k0 - iPod docking station, iPod beeps when connected 10k - Takes my iPod into photo import mode 500k - vava uses this for his serial-via-dock experiments Used in Dension Ice Link Plus car interface 1M0 - Belkin auto adaptor, iPod shuts down automatically when power disconnected 5[/left]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back