Is it bad if my buds literally shock me?
Mar 12, 2010 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wicked.ludicrous

Head-Fier
So whenever I go from a cold place to a warm (usually dry) area, my Audio Technica buds shock me. Like they literally shock me. And it happens when I'm using them and rub on thick fabric.
Is this usual for most buds? I had some nice Sony buds before but this never happened. And even if it's not a bad thing, I am getting new headphones

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #3 of 6
i think that's just the static electricity. i think any buds/iems can conduct some static and shock you. my yuins actually shocked me the other day, which was very rare. but it was while i was taking off my wool coat worn over a sweater (very easy to conduct static electricity)

Mar 13, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #4 of 6
General static electricity problem, and quite common. The MDR-7506 did this to me most often. Helpful things to do: get a humidifier, wear natural fibers.

Mar 13, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 6
From ClieOS' Basic Guide to In-Ear-Canalphones:

Quote:

Static Electricity Discharge through IEM

It is possible to experience a static electricity discharge though IEM.

In a cold climate with low humidity, it is easy to build up a static charge on one's body. The cable that carries the audio signal from the headphone jack to the IEM has metallic wire inside. This wire is also a path to ground through which the static charge can travel. Though one's ears are touching the plastic parts of the IEM, there is metallic wire inside. A static charge often has a high enough voltage to leap from one's ear to the metal inside of the IEM, discharging the static electricity via the cable and into the device playing the audio signal, e.g., CD player or MP3 player. The amount of electrical current in such a static discharge is not harmful, though the discharge itself can startle.

It is important to note that such static discharges are "acts of nature" and do not indicate that one's IEM are defective. Nor will the static discharge cause harm to the IEM.

Mar 13, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #6 of 6
interesting. never knew that could happen. i've never experienced that before

Users who are viewing this thread

Back