Is it an upgrade from my HD600 ?
Dec 24, 2009 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Karl2009

New Head-Fier
I am using a Senns HD600 with a tubes amp since a couple of years.

I really like the sound and balance but sometimes I feel them too analitical and dull.

I have seen the good comments about Denon's D2000 and at the current price it could be got from Amazon I am considering to buy ones.

My question is, will I find an improvement of the HD600? or I need to invest much more money and go to the D7000, HD800 or PS1000?

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 9
In my opinion, you'd have to go way up in price level for something to be considered an "upgrade" from the HD600.
However, if you're looking for something different or complementary, Denon D2000 (or Grados, AKG K701/702) might fit the bill.

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 9
if you think the HD600 is analytical and dull, maybe you should try a different amp. Cause that sounds like an amping issue to me. And I'm not talking about the typical head-fi "you need to spend a million trillion dollars on amps". Just that your amp might not by synergizing well with the HD600, and you might be better off with an amp that brings out different character in them. Dull, I can see if you just want lots of treble, then I'd say grados. But also analytical, I'm not really sure how those two go together

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 9
IMO that's a sideways move as said above!! You'll have another pr. of cans that don't really "Float your Boat" Save your $$$$$ and go for a big jump...HD 800, Grados top dog or STAX........good luck.....the amp does make a diff. even the tubes you're using...can change the sound.....

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 9
maybe it's your source? the HD650/HD600 i've heard never sounded analytical and dull..
confused.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 9
I think everyone may well have a different idea of what dull and analytical may mean. I personally am concerned about switching amps as a remedy. That's a potential sidestep as well and needs gobs of research and finally that experimentation.

To the OP, what sonic characteristics would you wish to change for them to become no longer analytical and dull. I'd personally recommend trying another pair of cans, but not the D2000. Go further up the chain. An RS1 or Denon D7000 may well tickle your fancy a lot better. Their presentation is a lot different. They take on a more rigorous ride, if you know what I mean.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 9
I don't own a HD600 but I do own a D2000 and I can tell you if you're looking for a pair w/ a wide soundstage and good mids/highs, you are better off contemplating others. I found D2000's soundstage quite narrow in comparison to the cheaper AD900 and its recessed mids less attractive. It's closed so does a much better job at sound isolation, bass quantity and all that closed type balls and whistles. If you're a basshead, you will not dislike D2000.

Dec 24, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you think the HD600 is analytical and dull, maybe you should try a different amp. Cause that sounds like an amping issue to me. And I'm not talking about the typical head-fi "you need to spend a million trillion dollars on amps". Just that your amp might not by synergizing well with the HD600, and you might be better off with an amp that brings out different character in them. Dull, I can see if you just want lots of treble, then I'd say grados. But also analytical, I'm not really sure how those two go together

Agree! I had Grado RS-1, they are more analytical than my HD650. What amp do you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back