Is it a waste to have k501's...
Dec 13, 2005 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Fred

Head-Fier
...w/ a cheap amp (Elec Ave 2)? Whould I be better off w/ a set of Grado 60 or low end Senns if I can't afford a better amp for the power hungry k501's?

Dec 13, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred
...w/ a cheap amp (Elec Ave 2)? Whould I be better off w/ a set of Grado 60 or low end Senns if I can't afford a better amp for the power hungry k501's?

I don't believe so personally, but I will probably be in the minority. As long as the amp has a gain of "5" or better it should drive the K501 decently, albeit you could do significantly better with a pricier amp.

P.S. Grado SR-60 and K501 sound so different that it's like comparing apples and aircraft. Have you done the research re: the sonic signature of these two headphones? Don't buy without at least some idea of what it is you're getting, particularly in the case of the K501.

Dec 13, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 11
Well I puchased the k501's mostly because of the reveiws on head-fi and, being able to use them all day at work, the comfortable fabric ear pads. I did hear that they were challenging to drive so I bought the Elec Ave 2 amp and thought I'd upgrade later. Well it's later and the problem is it's a significant upgrade (at least twice the cost of the cans I want to drive) to do them justice, evidently. Maybe I'll just keep looking out for a used Gilmore Lite, Hornet of Xin Supermacro. Anybody know the gain of the Elec Ave 2?

Dec 13, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Well I puchased the k501's mostly because of the reveiws on head-fi and, being able to use them all day at work, the comfortable fabric ear pads. I did hear that they were challenging to drive so I bought the Elec Ave 2 amp and thought I'd upgrade later. Well it's later and the problem is it's a significant upgrade (at least twice the cost of the cans I want to drive) to do them justice, evidently.

Are you saying the K501s are in the mail, but haven't arrived yet? If so, why not just wait until they come in and see what it sounds like?
confused.gif

Dec 13, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by t_s
it's 6 point something... but don't get caught up on that. It's simply the ratio of R1 and R2 that determines the gain. Certainly useless number when it comes to judging the quality of an amp.

Very useful though when it comes to *loudness*, which is the primary issue with driving K501s (given their relative insensitivity).

Beyond that, it's a matter of SQ of course. Don't know about the PA2V2 specifically, but I'm pretty happy with the go-vibe driving the K501. But again, those who would be are probably in the minority.

Dec 13, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by t_s
it's 6 point something... but don't get caught up on that. It's simply the ratio of R1 and R2 that determines the gain. Certainly useless number when it comes to judging the quality of an amp.

Very useful though when it comes to *loudness*, which is the primary issue with driving K501s (given their relative insensitivity).

Beyond that, it's a matter of SQ of course. Don't know about the PA2V2 specifically, but I'm pretty happy with the go-vibe driving the K501. Dynamics are pretty good to my ears, and so is bass. Actually, PA2V2 is rumored to be a bit bass-heavy, so it may be even better.

Dec 13, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Are you saying the K501s are in the mail, but haven't arrived yet? If so, why not just wait until they come in and see what it sounds like?
confused.gif

I've been using the k501's w/ the Elec Ave 2 amp for a few months now and I've felt from the begining that drive is lacking especially in the low end. I wanted to give 'em a full burn in (which I've heard can take up to 300 hours and no less that 100 for the k501's). Would love to try out a better amp in the $200 range, most likely used, but want to KNOW that it'll be better before plunking down. Guess if I buy used I can always re-sell for not much of a loss.

Dec 13, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

I've been using the k501's w/ the Elec Ave 2 amp for a few months now and I've felt from the begining that drive is lacking especially in the low end. I wanted to give 'em a full burn in (which I've heard can take up to 300 hours and no less that 100 for the k501's).

Try pumping low bass tones through them at fairly high volume (search for related threads). I tried this and did detect an improvement in the bass after only an hour or two of accelerated burn-in... treble and mids are smoother as well. They will never sound weighty in the bass no matter what you use to feed them, but I'm liking the sound a lot at this point with my go-vibe + AD8620 opamp. Not that you (or anyone else) necessarily would though, just me maybe.

Quote:

Would love to try out a better amp in the $200 range, most likely used, but want to KNOW that it'll be better before plunking down. Guess if I buy used I can always re-sell for not much of a loss.

Lots of good amps around in the $200 range. Anyway, best of luck finding one you like with the K501s
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

I've been using the k501's w/ the Elec Ave 2 amp for a few months now and I've felt from the begining that drive is lacking especially in the low end.

Some would argue that the K501 is lacking in the low end to start with, so it is not necessarily a matter of the amp's fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back