Is it a waste to buy an Edition 8 for ipod listening?
Jan 23, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #16 of 65
For outside use, what is more important the soundstage or the isolation? This question is making my choice very difficult now. Is the soundstage of the Edition 8 that lacking?

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #17 of 65
I edited my post to hopefully make it more clear.

If you are in noisy environments ALWAYS go for isolation. Considering the size of the headphones it actually kind of amazing but they definiatly have a closed signature. I have heard many headphones with smaller soundstage but also some with considerably wider. The Pro 900 have 2-3 x as big soundstage. DX 1000 and markl D5000 also bigger but none of these are really made for portable use and they have wooden colourations that give away their closed nature. I preferr headphones that manage to disappear
smily_headphones1.gif

The 900 have faster attack and shorter decay which is one key I suspect. Plus the fact they are twice as big and have no treble roll off and KeeS modded a bit less mid bass.

Just speculating why the Ed 8 suffers so in this department in comparison.
Both uses displaced drivers. It give you more of a front and rear surround though width is a more narrow if your ear geometry are compatible. Kind of the opposite of regular headphones with non angled drivers that have more stereo width then speakers but where you may be annoyed hearing voices in both your left and right ear cup.

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #18 of 65
We tested few amps with ED8 at last Seattle meet. One thing we found out is ED8 is not amp dependent. From $150 amp to $3000 amp. they sounded very very close. You may not get 100% SQ out of ipod unamped, but will be very close. They are great phones unamped.

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #19 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We tested few amps with ED8 at last Seattle meet. One thing we found out is ED8 is not amp dependent. From $150 amp to $3000 amp. they sounded very very close. You may not get 100% SQ out of ipod unamped, but will be very close. They are great phones unamped.

Any cheaper amp that managed to lift the soundstage on them better then the other?

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #20 of 65
I am starting to realize that the edition 8 is not a real popular headphone on this forum. Information on this headphone seems to be pretty limited on this forum. Not to get off track but i am finding alot of reviews on the HD800. Perhaps this is a good headphone for an ipod. I would love to here your thoughts on this thought. Thanks everyone!!!!

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #21 of 65
even if you get 100% of that headphone's potential, you are probably still wasting your money. high end hi-fi and outdoor listening don't mix well unless you use IEMs

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #22 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiltman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am starting to realize that the edition 8 is not a real popular headphone on this forum. Information on this headphone seems to be pretty limited on this forum. Not to get off track but i am finding alot of reviews on the HD800. Perhaps this is a good headphone for an ipod. I would love to here your thoughts on this thought. Thanks everyone!!!!

The Ed8 isn't popular because of a number of reasons.

- it's an Ultrasone and these headphones have a sort of love/hate sort of opinion about them. They aren't, in general, much favoured since the S-Logic and generally bass weighted tonal balance is an acquired taste.
smily_headphones1.gif
However, the Ed8's are reputed to be quite different in sound from other Ultrasone's.

- the price is pretty high and there are more popular contenders that can be bought for less, namely, the HD800's, RS1, D7000 etc.

- not many would consider spending $1495 on cans for portable use. You know how I feel in that regard.
wink.gif

I don't know anyone who would recommend the HD800's for portable use. These are open headphones that definitely require decent amp'ing to show their potential. It's apparently even amp fussy in terms of optimal pairing.

I was thinking and would suggest your looking at the ATH ESW10. I use an ESW9 as my personal portables and enjoy them. They sound fine straight from my iPod. Another possibility would be the ATH M50.

However, you seem to be looking at the most expensive cans and choosing among them. In that case, go with the Ed8's.
tongue.gif

However, among headphones, good sound is far from proportional to cost.

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #23 of 65
edition 8's sound fantastic, whether an ipod could do it justice is questionable. I have yet to be impressed by this combo... an amp would help most definitely.
thta sad, the hd800 out of an ipod would be a big mistake and i have absolutely no doubt about that.
The ed 8 sound great but from a portable i will take an IEM anyday...(my choice is the er4p)
if you got the dosh to shell out for an ed8 or a hd800, then seriously explore the ultra high end iems. i have no experience with the custom molded ones personally.

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #24 of 65
^Excellent advice there on the IEM's. The JH13 Pros would likely tickle the hell out of the OP.
tongue.gif
The only reason why I haven't personally gone for one is because I don't like devices in my ear for too long.

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #25 of 65
x2 for the ESW10JPN, sounds fanstatic straight from the iPod

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking and would suggest your looking at the ATH ESW10. I use an ESW9 as my personal portables and enjoy them. They sound fine straight from my iPod. Another possibility would be the ATH M50.

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #26 of 65
Soundstage may be even worse then the ED 8? There is to much that worry me about iems... Soundstage for one, the comfort level and increased wax production and other health issues would worry me as well. I also like to see what I pay for. The JH13 cost as much as the ED 8 and you get these little things you put in your ears? How much do that cost to produce
tongue.gif

There is really not much love/hate going on with the Ed 8 if you compare with pretty much any other ultrasone out there
wink.gif
. It´s more love/meh I don´t get it. It´s to polite and soft to create and coherent in it´s Frequency response to create hate it seems. Those that complain about harsh sound will definiatly preferr this
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #27 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiltman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here's the thing: Really, really, really expensive headphones aren't a plug n play deal. Audio Cliché No.1 - SQ is only as good as your worst component.

Expensive headphones don't create magic all by themselves; the inbuilt assumption from the manufacturers when you buy them, is that you have decent gear to run them. And, if you're new to this thing, the difference between $1500 headphones and $500 headphones isn't as big as you think it may be.

If you want to throw down $1500 biggies on a headphone that will be provided a signal by a 20c DAC in a player, then go knock yourself out.

Jan 24, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #28 of 65
If you want something roughly SE530-ish in a fullsize-ish package, then I'd also recommend ESW10JPN. IMO their balance/sound signature is very similar and it'd be more practical for ipod use as they don't need an amp.

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #29 of 65
I can see where the Edition 8 is a love hate. I personally cannot see any noticable difference with the S Logic. Soundstaging is a little different, but it doens't make you sit and think about it all the time they are on your head.

They are VERY bass heavy. But I have always listened to a home system with a subwoofer....so I prefer to have the thunder rolling with my music. I will say this though, the Edition 8 has done a REMARKABLE job at putting subwoofer type bass without stepping on mids at all. I have never stopped any music and thought, man, the bass just killed the mids here. IMHO it's truly a remarkable feat.

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #30 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can see where the Edition 8 is a love hate. I personally cannot see any noticable difference with the S Logic. Soundstaging is a little different, but it doens't make you sit and think about it all the time they are on your head.

You've tried the Ed8's without S-Logic to see the difference?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back