Is it a good idea to use a "portable power station" to power up my equipment?
May 2, 2024 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

photobillyli

New Head-Fier
Current situation: Connecting a streamer, a DAC, a Headphone amp to an ISOL-8 Powerline Power Strip.

Problem: Sometimes the sound is really good, but sometimes I can clearly hear some noise at the background. It really frutrates me.

Hypothesis: After conducting research, I believe the most likely reason is the "unclean" power supply.

Proposed solutions:
1. Use a Power conditioner/AC regenerator (i.e. PS Audio, Shunyata, ISOL-8) or an isolation transformer to replae the Power Strip.
2. Use a Portable power station to power up the equipment. The ISOL-8 Power Strip will be connected directly to the Portable power station instead of the wall socket.

I think the proposed solution 1 is very common. I can see a lot of people doing the same but a good power conditioner/AC regenerator is quite expensive to me.

On the other hand, a Portable power station is a bit less expensive, having considered my equipement doesn't draw a large current in total. Moreover, I am thinking whether a Portable power station can produce an even cleaner AC than the AC output of the power conditioner/AC regenerator/isolation transformer. However, the discussion on solution 2 seems to be highly limited.

Do you have any idea????

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 2
I use a Sine Wave uninterruptible power supply/battery backup. It's has brownout or power surge protection and just clears up so many problems in this area.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00429N192/
A portable unit might not be useable while charging, and some run really hot and wear out really fast if you use it constantly while keeping it plugged in. I'd just go with the lowest power rated true sine wave power supply/backup. This even has two USB ports for plugging in a DAC. The cheaper battery switching ones still take a few milliseconds to switch when power goes out, and during short power drops it still messes with audio equipment. I keep the router and cable modem on it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back