Is it a good idea to sell Lynx L22 and get a DAC1?
Oct 7, 2005 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jonta_dj

100+ Head-Fier
I wonder if it's a good idea to sell my Lynx L22 and get a Benchmark DAC1 or similar instead? I would then use digital uut to the DAC.

I could use my Audigy 2 (probably not good, upsamling etc?), onboard digital out, or I'd buy a EMU 404 which has got such a good reputation.

Could I still use my X-Can V3 or must I get a new amp as well (hope not)?

I don't want to get new phones (I like HD650)...

Also, with the volume on top there's still no noise from this soundcard, not anything that I and people who also listened to it could hear. Is DAC1 noise free?

What are the pros and cons of doing this?

Oct 9, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 5
Done!

I'll keep the soundcard
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikechai
Curious to know how you come into the conclusion....

Well around here a thread where a member is asking if they should spend money with no replies urging them to buy more expensive stuff pretty much qualifies as an act of God. I'd rate it up there with a burning, talking bush or a Sea parting so you could walk through it so I think he's probably spot on.
biggrin.gif

However, in the interests of upholding the forum's reputation, the DAC1 is very nice!
very_evil_smiley.gif
I haven't heard the Lynx but I find it questionable to believe that a sound card could match the DAC1, although someone should be along directly to tell you they have a $50 sound card that blows the DAC1 away. (Sorry, I'm just jealous and bitter, my tastes seldom seem to pick the cheaper alternative
tongue.gif
)

Oct 20, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Well around here a thread where a member is asking if they should spend money with no replies urging them to buy more expensive stuff pretty much qualifies as an act of God. I'd rate it up there with a burning, talking bush or a Sea parting so you could walk through it so I think he's probably spot on.
biggrin.gif

However, in the interests of upholding the forum's reputation, the DAC1 is very nice!
very_evil_smiley.gif
I haven't heard the Lynx but I find it questionable to believe that a sound card could match the DAC1, although someone should be along directly to tell you they have a $50 sound card that blows the DAC1 away. (Sorry, I'm just jealous and bitter, my tastes seldom seem to pick the cheaper alternative
tongue.gif
)

Damn, I'm too late. Buy the DAC1. In fact, buy the Meitner to skip a couple of upgrade cycles!

Just kidding. jonta_dj may just have realized (with some help
smily_headphones1.gif
) that he really needs to first make some decent breakout cables for Lynx and optimize the software/ASIO output before even starting to conclude he needs "improvement" and looking for alternatives.

Even if he does decide he needs to change later on, I would personally look into something like Mytek DAC, which uses the latest AKM DAC's, which are getting some good press lately.

http://www.mytekdigital.com/products/stereo96dac.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back