Is isolation and neutral frequency response mutually exclusive?
Sep 19, 2019 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

thrillhaus

100+ Head-Fier
In my history of headphones I've exclusively used open-back cans since I prefer a neutral sound with good soundstage, but the need has come up for a pair with decent isolation. In the time I've been a semi-enthusiast, I've never heard of a closed set of cans that weren't bass heavy and had decent soundstage. The one exception is the Denon Dx000 series (and its Fostex OEM equivalents) with earpad mods, but they isolated so poorly they may as well be considered open (maybe that's why they sounded so good).

It's gotten me to thinking if the two are mutually exclusive, by nature of their construction and physics. I'd love to hear if anyone knows of some good examples to prove otherwise.

Sep 19, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 5
Good question, but they certainly aren't mutually exclusive. Damping and reverb can tend to make bass over-emphasised, but I'd suggest a quick listen to the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed - perhaps one of the most 'neutral' pair of headphones I've heard, open or closed.

Sep 19, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 5
Not a fan of the Aeon's. I like the earlier MrSpeakers Ether Flow Closed. Innerfidelity put them into the Hall of Fame in 2016, calling them the best closed headphone known to them. I like them, fair amount on the used market.

Drop also has a version, which I don't know much about.

Sep 19, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back