Is is true that adding adaptors into the signal chain degrades the sound?
Feb 3, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #16 of 19
I use some XLR>RCA on my Lavry DA10. I listen, and things sound amazing so I dopn't bother worrying.

I think someone from Lavry Engineering said this to me in an email (it was in another email):

"I believe the issue with the XLR to RCA adapters is not so much that the case is connected to the outer contact of the RCA connector, but rather the quality of the connection. The less expensive adapters seem to rely on the physical mounting of the RCA connector as well as a spring contact from the solder lug inside- to the case itself, in order to make the electrical connection from Pin 1 of the XLR to the outer contact of the RCA connector. The ones with the insulator must have a wire connecting Pin 1 to the RCA connector, so it is just a much better electrical connection. "

That said, I had Jeff at Sonic Euphoria whip up some adapters for me and I sent him the above quote, his response:

"[size=x-small]I do use Teflon insulated wires to make both the contacts. I figured out a trick in constructing these that works very well allowing me to use soldered wires on both ends. I am a huge believer that the negative conductor is just as important as the positive conductor.I also just constructed my first set using WBT top end RCA connectors, I'm using the same technique to make these. They are $25 more for the pair or $12.50 for your single, so if you wanted to go that route your total would be $34 total delivered. The cost of the WBT connectors is considerably higher, in fact the $25 is just about my cost difference. It really does not matter to me which one you take my minimal profit is pretty much the same. I'm also working on a version using the Eichmann RCA, each of these is a bit difference because the size and shape of the back end of the RCA connectors fit differently in the butt of the XLR connector. It is important to make sure the RCA fits securely and will not twist over time as cable are connected and disconnected. If they start to twist they will tear the internal wires and will have to be rebuilt and that is not easy if you do not already know what you are doing. I'll next be working on putting male RCA connectors on these, but that is a whole different game pretty much requiring some machining modifications to the RCA connectors. I stated making the WBT versions because I was running out of Cardas connectors, but I do have an odd single I can use for your order. Let me know how you would like to proceed, I have gotten some nice comments back from people who have received these."

Hope this was helpful for you and anyone else thinking of making some adapters. I think Jeff is somewhere out West; a top notch guy to deal with.

DC
[/size]

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #17 of 19
If you use a cheap crap adapter than I guess you would get signal loss but if there is a difference then Beyerdynamic would not be so stupid to have their headphones use permanent 1/8" > 1/4" adapter. They would have done it the opposite way, 1/4">1/8" adapter because high end gear always has 1/4" socket.

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #18 of 19
I was merely stating that people can hear distortion at less than 1% unlike some people state that its impossible to hear it below 1%.

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #19 of 19
Adding more contact points to a signal line certainly have the potential of degrading the sound. If its audible is a different matter.
One way to find out -> giving it a try.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back