is ipod touch 2G sound quality way better than ipod touch 1G?
Oct 6, 2008 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

1235sam

New Head-Fier
question to all ipod touch 2g owners who have used ipod touch 1g:i heard new touch has very good sound quality but is it really step forward from 1g?

i am asking this question because i want to purchase ipod touch.In India touch 2g is not available yet.but its estimated cost is 15,000 rupess for 8gb(nearly $320).but now touch 1g is available at 9500 rupees(nearly $200).so is it worth to purchase touch 1g for $200 or should i wait for 2g which will cost $320?

i am concerned about sound quality of 1g.i heard its not good.But i also heard it is bad only when used with expensive headphones(hiss etc).
but i am not gonna use expensive headphones.i am gonna use creative ep-630.
so is there any noticable difference in sound quality with headphones like ep-630?

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #2 of 14
it really depends on what you listen to. do you use sensitive low ohm phones like um2, ue sf5pro, denon c700, kenwood c711, fx500 etc. if you do, then you will notice two things: more bass resolution and less hiss.

but it is not dramatic. it is better but for the better price, why not get the cheaper ipod? the sound is better but not 120$ better, but then i would not pay 120$ for better sound

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it really depends on what you listen to. do you use sensitive low ohm phones like um2, ue sf5pro, denon c700, kenwood c711, fx500 etc. if you do, then you will notice two things: more bass resolution and less hiss.

but it is not dramatic. it is better but for the better price, why not get the cheaper ipod? the sound is better but not 120$ better, but then i would not pay 120$ for better sound

as i have already mentioned i am gonna use ep-630 which i guess considered as low ohm headphones.

i tried to search on google,many people reported hiss with old ipod touch;but all those posts were older ones,before oct 2007.someone also stated hiss problem was fixed with new models of ipod touch 1g and newer firmware but i am not sure.

yes difference of $120 is high thats why i am considering ipod touch 1g if it sounds good with ep-630.

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 14
I hear hiss still in the newer 1G touch but much less than the older 1G touch. Has anyone else done any tests with ue11s, eggs, or similar with both touch generations and can share?

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 14
I would like to know too.

Having the iPod Touch 1G... I'm not sure if I'd get another iPod since there are other players out there with greater sound quality.

Oct 7, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 14
UE11 Pro owners or members owning both the newer 1G touch VS 2G touch are welcome to chime in pertaining hiss and overall sound quality.

Oct 7, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 14
i was not too bothered by the hiss on the old one as i owned several that hissed more and was able to put up with: sony, iriver and the meizu m6 sp.

the new touch is the least hissy player i have heard. less than nano 3g, d2, zune etc. it is wonderful. has little to no bass roll off.

i am using 16ohm 100db fx500 and ck10. an owner of um2 said the hiss was minimal to the extent of hearing it only in quiet passages. on the old one, i heard it all the time. the sony, i heard it on the buss! haha

the new touch really is quite amazing.

Oct 7, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 14
^

Hmm, I can just barely detect a minute amount of hiss on my newer 1G touch (predominantly in the right channel) and only when the music is paused. When the music is on, no hiss can be heard.

I will have to try the 2G and compare..

Oct 7, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 14
In terms of hiss, there aren't many players that are dead silent. I don't know even one of them. I have UE-11's and that is their only true downside.

Oct 8, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #10 of 14
The Touch 2G shigzeo summed up really well. Just thought I would check back in, there is very little hiss detected with the Ety's, UE11's, or UE10's on the 2G. The 2G has less hiss than the 1G overall along with more textured marks in the low band.

Oct 16, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 14
IMO I don't think you'll find a player that will power the DT880 evn half decently unamped. If you dont want to carry stuff around with you I would suggest getting a pair of cans that are more suited to using unamped

Users who are viewing this thread

Back