Is iMod still competitive with "audiophile" DAPs (only interested in SOUND QUALITY)?
May 9, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #16 of 69
Are there any substantial differences between the audio quality of an iMod vs. Solo? I acquired a diyMod from a head-fier not too long ago, paired it with a p51 Mustang and that's basically been my main rig and I've had no intention of changing it any time soon. However the idea of the Solo is definitely something i may consider in the future - definitely sounds appealing with the amount of freedom you have with it.

To the OP - very good thread. I can tell you that I love my diyMod so far, but I confess that I have not listened to many other daps. I did a good amount of research on the imod, comparisons to other daps and pcdps, and found a good deal so I took the plunge. I wanted a dap that sounded just as good as some vintage pcdps and just had a very authentic sound. The detail retrieval is awesome, soundstage is good, and it has a very warm and lush sound with my Mustang. However at the time I didn't know about the Solo and if it's as good as the iMod (or better!) I'd say go for it.  

May 9, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #17 of 69

Quote:
I auditioned the Solo. Yes there's a marginal improvement over the iMod audio wise. But it took my Ed8 to really tell the difference. The T50p couldn't really differentiate. But bearing in mind that this comes at the expense of 1) Portability 2) Battery life, I decided to stick with the iMod for the time being... Ordered my iMod :)

awesome! Totally answered my question without seeing my question btw. Hope you enjoy your iMod.

May 9, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #18 of 69
hmmmmmmm, the solo IS wildly expensive and not nearly as portable as I'd like, but I've no doubt it sounds amazing! I didn't respond because it is not even an option at this point, but perhaps ten years from now? Even an iMod is pushing it and will likely have to purchase it in phases, LOL ...

Imod would cost $60 for 4g ipod, $250 for imod, ~$250 for decent amp = ~$560
Solo is $579, $250 for decent amp (although it would look best with the Alo Rx @ $450), IC $200 = ~$1,000 - $1,200

significant difference in price, although I'm not doubting the Solo represents the pinnacle of portable audio. If I had that kind of money I'd probably buy the Hifiman 801, save $300, sell my SE535's and get some Westone ES5's or something!

ROMA101: it looks like you have the 4g Nano ... how would you compare the Nano to the iMod? Have you ever amped the Nano? If so, how did that compare?

Justanut: I'd love to hear your impressions of the iMod when you get it! Please post something somewhere! : )

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback. Solo looks incredible, but I'm not quite ready to go there yet. Also, I'm not totally sure what it is! It sounds like the same thing as the Pure i-20, except portable? Does this mean the Solo somehow bypasses all the "bad stuff" that the iMod originally bypassed? I understand it is a DAC, right? I should't even ask because there is no way I can afford it right now, but I AM curious!

May 9, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #19 of 69
I still have my iMod as I struggled to get used to the bulk of the Solo + Classic + P4 Amp when it first arrived (it's a big rig for sure) but....... the iMod is seeing less and less daylight due to the fact that the Solo is superior in SQ (not massively, but still noticeable) and I can use the Solo with any of my newer iDevices..

I take my Classic out on the go with 160gb of lossless and when sat in my listening area I plug in my iPod Touch 4G and stream lossless via iPeng app giving me access to my WHOLE music collection from my PC/Hard Drive into any of my amps or even coax out to my DacMagic if I fancy a change.

I still love the iMod, hell it was my 1st taste of quality. But the UI of the 5.5G video can't touch that of the newer iDevices. My 240gb iMod will be retiring soon I suspect.

May 9, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #20 of 69

Quote:
hmmmmmmm, the solo IS wildly expensive and not nearly as portable as I'd like, but I've no doubt it sounds amazing! I didn't respond because it is not even an option at this point, but perhaps ten years from now? Even an iMod is pushing it and will likely have to purchase it in phases, LOL ...

Solo is $579, $250 for decent amp (although it would look best with the Alo Rx @ $450), IC $200 = ~$1,000 - $1,200

significant difference in price, although I'm not doubting the Solo represents the pinnacle of portable audio. If I had that kind of money I'd probably buy the Hifiman 801, save $300, sell my SE535's and get some Westone ES5's or something!

ROMA101: it looks like you have the 4g Nano ... how would you compare the Nano to the iMod? Have you ever amped the Nano? If so, how did that compare?

Justanut: I'd love to hear your impressions of the iMod when you get it! Please post something somewhere! : )

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback. Solo looks incredible, but I'm not quite ready to go there yet. Also, I'm not totally sure what it is! It sounds like the same thing as the Pure i-20, except portable? Does this mean the Solo somehow bypasses all the "bad stuff" that the iMod originally bypassed? I understand it is a DAC, right? I should't even ask because there is no way I can afford it right now, but I AM curious!

a cMoy sold on ebay for about $65 should be a decent amp. it is very good.

May 9, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #21 of 69
I am a long term iMod user and actually it made me to all but stop reading portable audio threads, because I became content in knowledge that it is as good or very nearly as good as it can get at this time. You see, iMod is so much better than "all in one" consumer media players like iPod and its Cowon and Sony alternatives AND will stay that way in foreseeable future because iMod is a COMBINATION of winning things:
 1. Clean line out that goes from DAC to amp directly with big capacitors (or even VERY big capacitors- Vcaps)
 2. It utilises a separate external amp with its own power source and size/price comparable to iPod, Zune etc

Thus, it can only be compared to other setups that also use amps and bigger capacitors, or optic/SPDIF setups- eg Iriver120+optic Ibasso d10, or iPod+Solo+Amp.

Then it becomes a question of what you can afford. Imod can be the cheapest by far if you already have a 4-5.5G Ipod- Diymod route (my way). 

But, all "ordinary" consumer players CAN not and WILL not compete with these kinds of setups due to lack of bigger capacitors on line out, and having small weak inbuilt amps.

May 9, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #22 of 69
The iMod is a meaningful step up from any iPod or iPhone. Frankly, amping an (unmodded) iPod line out has minimal payback to my taste. The iMod makes it worthwhile by providing a clean sweet signal.

The difference between the Solo and the iMod is an even greater step up. Well worth it. Ultimately though, the minmal upgrade to the iMod is the most important. That is when you start to have a really good source. I see good people on here with thousands of dollars of amps, ICs, and custom IEMs with custom upgrade cables being fed from an iPod Classic and I personally don't get it....

...which is my problem because all of this is obviously IMHO.

My 2 cents FWIIW.

May 9, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #23 of 69
I am interested in the fostex hp_p1 which was just released in Japan.
same as the solo, but has an amp contained in it so no need for an extra amp in your portable bundle. the price scares me though.

May 9, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #24 of 69
Awesome feedback everyone! Much appreciated, I have a lot more to think about.
Quote:
Ultimately though, the minmal upgrade to the iMod is the most important.

Cooperpwc: Sorry, just to be clear about what you're saying, basically then I *should* expect to see a substantial difference moving from unamped 4g ipod touch to RWA imod? See I just got these Shure 535's thinking they were pretty much top of the line for universal's, and I feel they deserve a better source than a simple iPod touch. To be fair I am using the EQ app, which does help, but I feel like I'm not getting the most out of these earphones. Do you think the iMod is worth it for IEM's like the Shures? Also, how would you describe the sound difference between imod and plain ipod touch?

Ubizja: this was really helpful! So yeah again, this answers another important question: How much better is 4g RWA imod (can't do DIYmod myself) compared to 4g ipod touch? You are clearly saying that the imod is so much better it can't even compete? But would you mind commenting specifically where and how I would likely hear the difference? Would it be a totally different sound sig depending on the amp? Or would it just be clearer, more powerful, more articulation, more soundstage, etc? and *roughly* how noticeable are the differences? Also, would this cut down on the hissing I get from some of my lossless files?

SpudHarris: although I totally agree that the UI of the new touch is awesome, based on sound quality alone how would you compare the imod to ipod touch (amped or unamped)?

It seems like imod might still be biggest bang for buck moving up from plain ol ipod without spending $1000? If I went with a headstage arrow amp the whole package could remain pretty portable ... although I like the price of the Leckerton UH4 ...

May 9, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #25 of 69
There are folks out there who will convert your gen 5 into a diymod for quite a bit less than an official iMod. That's what I did and I am happy enough that I am converting into a 64gb 
CF diymod to make it lighter and longer lasting battery-wise. 
I would think that the above mentioned Fostex might interest you also. It's a little wider than the Solo, but includes the amp which cuts way down on cable clutter. The price is serious, but you could sell your Slim and it might start to make sense.
I know that I would love to see and hear one...but really, the diymod is good enough......the older I get, I just want to listen to music and the diymod lets me do that.
Steve

May 9, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #26 of 69
WOW! I just went against my better judgment and caught a peek at the Fostex ... damn ... that thing is REALLY nice and actually comparable in price to an iMod with nice amp! Much better form factor than the Solo ... i wonder how its amp would compare to TTVJ slim/Arrow/Leckerton ... and I wonder how its DAC would compare to 4g iPod/Solo ... that thing is amazing looking! and you use the apple USB? No $250 Alo cable?

May 9, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #27 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyshankly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cooperpwc: Sorry, just to be clear about what you're saying, basically then I *should* expect to see a substantial difference moving from unamped 4g ipod touch to RWA imod?

In my view, yes. I prefer the word "material", and even better "meaningful", to "substantial". An iPod headphone out is already better sound than anyone should expect to carry around in their pocket. From there, you are into the law of diminishing marginal returns, but boy are those returns delicious. There are subtle improvements in the clarity, detail, and air in the soundstage that are truly meaningful to me.

... which leads to the next key point. The Shure 535s are good headphones so yes they can justify the iMod upgrade. But you also must have a good amp to go with the iMod. Someone suggested a Cmoy. That strikes me as likely not a good choice to pair with such a refined and expensive source although I have no experience with it. Apply the weak link in the chain theory. There are a lot of good portable amps so I suggest either get something good with the iMod or save your money and stick with the Touch as a source.

May 9, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #28 of 69

Quote:

Never really amped the 4g Nano but from the hp out, the SQ is decent. It definitely isn't bad but I've gotten kind of anal about hearing the details of my music. I always knew none of these ipods compared to the sound of a really good pcdp or even a decent one from several years ago IMO. I missed that fullness and depth in the SQ. To actually feel like the instruments were real-sounding and all around you rather than a fake/thin/metallic/digital sound. Basically I was looking for a more analog sound. I love the nano because it's extremely portable - I'd most likely use it for working out and not serious listening. (Maybe I'll stop being lazy and get a regular lod to hook it up with my fiio e5 one of these days. That would be my light-weight, fun little rig.) But I haven't really touched it since I've gotten the diyMod + Mustang.

If top-notch SQ is what you're looking for, and you only want one rig, period... I'd say it's a good idea to go for the solo and a good amp. If it really is that awesome-sounding along with being so versatile, I think it's a good investment (UNLESS you get a good deal on an iMod/diyMod on head-fi). Hope you find what you're looking for.

May 9, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #29 of 69
I love my 6G Nano, even from the headphone out straight into my modest cans. Shocking, I know - its not one of the Wolfson models so beloved of many here, but its easily the best sounding iDevice I have ever owned. I can take the analog signal into my E9 with a Fiio LOD that cost peanuts and its easily 90% of what I'm getting from my MSII, albeit without the signal strength.

That said:
- the hardware itself is a small lump of plastic and silicon - its not something I'd be willing to base a 1K+ system around
- I had a 2009 Classic : more storage but a less musical sound - still a lump of plastic and silicon prone to loss or damage
- I have rarely been in a outdoors environment which leant itself to critical listening

In short, for genuinely portable listening nothing beats plugging a reasonable pair of IEMs straight into a DAP. If they are lost/damaged, its not going to be the best day of your life but its unlikely to be a thousand dollars down the drain.

Transportable is a different kettle of fish, and this is where the Solo-based rigs belong, IMO. Competition ? Thats easy - a netbook with an external DAC/amp. It might have a larger footprint, require booting etc, but most of us are unlikely to use either on public transport or walking through the park. If we view the netbook purely as a transport-with-large-hard-drive, the asking price for most is still going to be less than the Classic+Solo combination, and many have a choice of USB or SPDIF-out, widening the range of suitable DACs. Cynics might argue that a netbook is just a bigger 'lump of plastic and silicon', but I've never lost or damaged one and the capacity of slimline hard drives is constantly increasing.

End of the day, it comes down to where you want to go with your DAP, but you need to sit down and nut that out before spending any serious money.

May 9, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #30 of 69
My iMod as source via my Bursons to LCD-2s is what I assume heaven must be like. :D

Heck, as a portable with my P51 and SE 530s I could listen to those all day and beg for more.

Yeah it's a lot of money though (and so 3-4 years ago :wink:)Like estreeter said plan it out before hand. You don't want to be stuck with a component that eventually stifles your options when/if you decide to expand your setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back