Is Hi-Fi wasted on older ears?
Jun 27, 2015 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dlhen68

100+ Head-Fier
I'm pushing 60 and love music, movies, and headphones. I've got several pair of highly regarded cans, and am considering another high end pair. I haven't been to an audiologist, but my hearing seems quite good. I hear the sizzle of cymbals and the boom of good bass. When I've taken those on-line hearing tests, I seem to be missing the highest frequencies (I can hear up to about 12) and the lowest. So, the question: Is hi-fi wasted on older but still decent ears?

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 6
It is not wasted as long as you enjoy and appreciate it. Don't look at technical measurements and statistics. Listen and decide what works for you.

For years I though quality audio equipment was wasted on me. Recently I started listening through headphones and realized that I enjoy it very much. My hearing is not what it used to be, but that does not distract me from enjoying what I like. Downside is that it is a costly hobby...

Jun 29, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 6
HiFi is not only about the frequency range. I'm sure you can still appreciate things like clarity, precise location of instruments, natural sounding attack and decay, low distortions, lack of noise.  Besides, most of music still comes in the range covered by your hearing. I'm sure you will appreciate and enjoy your investments.

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #5 of 6
Depends on what condition your ears are in, and whether you've got any tinnitus going on. Your hearing may not be 100% but I'd like to think that unless your ears are completely buggered, using decent equipment isn't going to be a waste of your time (and ears).

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 6

Thanks for the feedback. Just curious. I sometimes have intermittent tinnitus but it's never constant. I remember as a kid wondering what that extremely high pitched sound was. It would come and go. It doesn't last more than a few seconds and the occurrence is roughly once a week or so. I think I'm in pretty good shape (considering my history). No power tools, but plenty of music. :) I'm on the verge of ordering a pair of the Shure 1540s. My go-to cans have become the HD600s. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back