Is hi-fi headphones not worth it if I dislike treble?
Aug 5, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #16 of 26
  Wow Audeze headphones are expensive.. are they made of diamond or something lolol? I think I'll rather buy a new computer with that XD ... Or maybe my opinion will change if my ears become more adapted to hifi

Like all you said, my friend said hd650 will fit me better since I didn't like emphasized treble so I'm going to try that

Thanks for the help!

No, but these are:

People who purchase four-figure headphones generally feel that they are worth the trouble (if not worth the price) due to the sound quality benefits.

If Audeze shocks you, then you probably don't want to know about the STAX SR-009 ($4,450) or Abyss AB-1266 ($5,495) ...woops, I just told you!
tongue.gif

The HD 650 is a fine choice. It's actually the highest-rated over-ear headphone on Head-Fi.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #17 of 26
I think the previous posts pretty much explained everything well already, but I just wanted to add that I began this hobby about 4ish years ago with some beyerdynamic dt990 32 ohm headphones, just playing straight off the computer, and that was it for 2 years, and it took that long to get the feeling they needed a bit more bass, ( because I am slightly treble sensitive too) so then I got denon d5000 headphones when they were at their lowest price, and still have those today, and even though some badly recorded songs can sound sibilant on them, for the most part they have that strong full hard hitting sound that I prefer over those brighter sounding headphones like the akg lineup. and this is still just plugged into a computer straight, no dac, no amp. Only recently did I get audeze lcd 2's and a decent schiit dac, and am now looking at an end game amp for the long run, but that is simply because I love music and I love diving into the music and swimming in the flow and detail that exists in a good recording of a genre I like. Once you live with a pair of headphones that can give you a taste of such a thing, you start the journey to hear more, eventually you'll break or your wallet will lol. There is a combination to create any sound you like, if you really wanted to be in the polar opposite direction from bright and treble high, then you can always go with a tube amp, and warm headphones, and only copper cables (nothing with silver, since that adds air and sometimes brightness, since it is a better conductor of electricity), and a warm dac instead of neutral, and avoid all music that has low mastering quality/bit rate since anything recorded well (doesnt have to be super fancy, most music besides the super mainstream stuff has a good version out there) won't really have sibilance in it, and you would have a hi-fi audio set up that would be anti-sibilance lol. Just don't forget to fine tune your sound preference as you hear better stuff, because sometimes your ears will tell you something different than what your mind thinks you like.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #18 of 26
  I think the previous posts pretty much explained everything well already, but I just wanted to add that I began this hobby about 4ish years ago with some beyerdynamic dt990 32 ohm headphones, just playing straight off the computer, and that was it for 2 years, and it took that long to get the feeling they needed a bit more bass, ( because I am slightly treble sensitive too) so then I got denon d5000 headphones when they were at their lowest price, and still have those today, and even though some badly recorded songs can sound sibilant on them, for the most part they have that strong full hard hitting sound that I prefer over those brighter sounding headphones like the akg lineup. and this is still just plugged into a computer straight, no dac, no amp. Only recently did I get audeze lcd 2's and a decent schiit dac, and am now looking at an end game amp for the long run, but that is simply because I love music and I love diving into the music and swimming in the flow and detail that exists in a good recording of a genre I like. Once you live with a pair of headphones that can give you a taste of such a thing, you start the journey to hear more, eventually you'll break or your wallet will lol. There is a combination to create any sound you like, if you really wanted to be in the polar opposite direction from bright and treble high, then you can always go with a tube amp, and warm headphones, and only copper cables (nothing with silver, since that adds air and sometimes brightness, since it is a better conductor of electricity), and a warm dac instead of neutral, and avoid all music that has low mastering quality/bit rate since anything recorded well (doesnt have to be super fancy, most music besides the super mainstream stuff has a good version out there) won't really have sibilance in it, and you would have a hi-fi audio set up that would be anti-sibilance lol. Just don't forget to fine tune your sound preference as you hear better stuff, because sometimes your ears will tell you something different than what your mind thinks you like.

Anti-sibilance - I like that!

The problem with avoiding sibilance on the recording side of the spectrum is that so many releases (including "fancy" ones) have poor production. (I won't go into a rant about that here, though.)

About combinations to create any sound you like - that's so true, but can be a little tricky, especially with so many possibilities, each piece in the puzzle further complicating things. For example, adding too many of those "anti-sibilant" components could end up muffling the sound. It's all about balance, and that requires experimentation.

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #19 of 26

Anti-sibilance - I like that!

The problem with avoiding sibilance on the recording side of the spectrum is that so many releases (including "fancy" ones) have poor production. (I won't go into a rant about that here, though.)

About combinations to create any sound you like - that's so true, but can be a little tricky, especially with so many possibilities, each piece in the puzzle further complicating things. For example, adding too many of those "anti-sibilant" components could end up muffling the sound. It's all about balance, and that requires experimentation.

yea exactly, thats why I mentioned at the end to make sure you fine tune your sound preferences as you hear more stuff, because what you originally thought you would like (as in super anti-sibilant) might turn out to be too much in one direction. thats why I like solid state for my lcd 2, and don't really mess with tubes, and the bifrost uber is generally a neutral dac, and I'll probably stick with that route. One thing I did learn in recent months though is the idea to enhance certain sound signatures instead of compensating for them. like a great commonly used example is people like to pair the audeze headphones with colder/brighter sounding amps/dacs in an attempt to compensate the overall end result. but what you find out after trial and error (or just plain old personal preference) is that complimenting the headphones sometimes works out much better overall and doesn't always give you an end result of being too one sided, in this case that darker tone. and in general to really have a good understanding of what all these terms mean to you. bright, dark, warm, harsh, etc might not always mean the same thing to you as they do for someone else, on the same piece of gear, so it's important to put what people say into perspective if you can't listen before buying.

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #20 of 26
Like all you said, my friend said hd650 will fit me better since I didn't like emphasized treble so I'm going to try that

Doubtful that's going to work for you unless you thought the HD650 had just a little bit too much treble.

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #21 of 26
I think that's the point he's making. The rolled-off treble of the 650 will help. It helps me a lot.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #23 of 26
just wanted to update

Got my hd650 on Thursday and I am loving it :)

Amazing comfort and no sibilance (can wear them for hours).

The only thing I dislike is that now I can hear the singer's lips separating on some tracks and noise and etc in bad recordings :p

Again, thanks for the help everyone!

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #25 of 26
just wanted to update

Got my hd650 on Thursday and I am loving it :)

Amazing comfort and no sibilance (can wear them for hours).

The only thing I dislike is that now I can hear the singer's lips separating on some tracks and noise and etc in bad recordings :p

Again, thanks for the help everyone!

Congratulations! Now for an amp...

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #26 of 26
Just get something that sounds good to YOU. If you're happy with whatever you currently have them enjoy the heck out of it. The biggest, most obvious differences between headphones are the sound signatures..it just so happened that the ones you auditioned are treble-happy, the HD600 less so but it lacks deep subbass which is what gives it a leaner more bright than what perhaps you're used to tonality. I myself didn't like it and prefer the HD650 which I modified a bit and sounds perfect to ME.

The "details" you mentioned are definitely more apparent in headphones with accentuated treble, this also gives it more clarity and even a wider soundstage with a more open and natural, airy sound. However, if you peruse the site and learn more and more about audio, then you will quickly realize that not every audio enthusiast likes that and many people (like me) are treble sensitive as well. Plus I like more bass, and thick and rich vocals with a rolled off treble. I judge a headphone based on how articulate the sound is, instrument separation, and honestly how fun it is to listen to, etc. and there are plenty of great headphones that have tremendous clarity and are resolving enough to be incredibly detailed with a natural tonality while still having emphasized bass (which suits me).

I have the K701 and I prefer listening to my $8 Philips ear buds, but I can still appreciate how good and immersive the 701 is. I can also appreciate the opposite end of the spectrum too, such as Beats by dre. A good headphone is a good headphone, regardless of tastes but preferences will always be the prevailing factor as audio is as subjective as it gets.

If you're serious about getting into this hobby, then I suggest you get some cheap(but good) headphones and see what you like/don't like about them and then upgrade at a later time when you have a more discerning ear and know exactly what you want out of your headphones. Good luck, and don't ever feel bad if you don't like a headphone, treble sensitivity is a real thing, as is bass sensitivity. The key is to just find what YOU like regardless of what "audiophiles" say.

I was going through threads which talks about treble sensitivity because i recently discovered that i too do have it. I have several headphones (all less than 80$), but my favourite from all of those is the KZ-ATR. So warm, laid back and mellow...

That is not the reason why i thought of replying to above post. I just want to say that i haven't seen a better reply than above in anywhere of head-fi or a forum i have been. You have my deep respect. I absolutely love the line you said

"Just get something that sounds good to YOU, If you're happy with whatever you currently have then enjoy the heck out of it"

This is so true, even though i am not a audiophile or rich enough to stack all the high end equipment. I realised this just about month back. Thank you for sharing it with the world. Thumbs up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back