IS HD650 or T90 an upgrade to Denon D2000 ? worth buying if i already have D2000 ?
Jul 29, 2016 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

OmidelF

100+ Head-Fier
so i have a d2000 but i was wondering is HD650 or T90 (only these 2 and Shure Srh1840 and 1540 are available where i live) an upgrade to d2000?  ( you can answer this about Shure Models too )
i just want to play music at home and when the singer sings , i want that wow reaction , like feel like the singer is next to me , and no i dont use it for mixing

so should i upgrade to T90 or HD650 ? if so which one , and how much difference will i notice ? worth paying the extra $$$ ?  ALSO i have a FiiO E10 Amp right now

and i almost listen to every genre , but i want to go to another place and relax when i listen to a singer like adele sing , like feel like im right there at her studio or something , and comfort is very important to me too

i saw some reviews in this forum that HD650 is even worse than D2000 !!! and im really confused right now 

Jul 29, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 22
I have never heard T90.

As for the HD650, I'd say its more of a side grade. There are things the hd650 does better and things the d2k does better but each one isn't inherently entirely better than the others. How ever thats just my opinion after owning both after owning both.

Jul 29, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #3 of 22
I had the Denon D7100 and I sold it but kept my HD650. The Denon is really nice for some genres but acoustic and vocal stuff, HD650 for sure reigns supreme.

Cheers.

Jul 29, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #4 of 22
One of those D2000 vs HD650 reviews might have been mine.  At the time, I was wanting a very robust and deep bass extension in a headphone.  Needless to say, I still like that in a headphone, but times have changed and I've grown to realize and appreciate the sheer neutrality of the HD650 throughout most of its sound signature.

I say that if you value big bass, nothing really beats the old Denons, or the current Fostex TH headphones. (Fostex was OEM for the Denon DX000 headphones.)  

If you value an upfront and uncolored midrange, plus smooth transition from midrange to treble, then the HD650 is your headphone.  Even many flagship headphones costing thousands of dollars still can't get this right.

In regards to having female singers sounding upfront, the HD650 will do that much better than the D2000.  The D2000 has a depression in the upper midrange presence area, while the HD650 does not.  The HD600 is in fact even more robust in that area, so female vocals will be even stronger.

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #5 of 22
  One of those D2000 vs HD650 reviews might have been mine.  At the time, I was wanting a very robust and deep bass extension in a headphone.  Needless to say, I still like that in a headphone, but times have changed and I've grown to realize and appreciate the sheer neutrality of the HD650 throughout most of its sound signature.

I say that if you value big bass, nothing really beats the old Denons, or the current Fostex TH headphones. (Fostex was OEM for the Denon DX000 headphones.)  

If you value an upfront and uncolored midrange, plus smooth transition from midrange to treble, then the HD650 is your headphone.  Even many flagship headphones costing thousands of dollars still can't get this right.

In regards to having female singers sounding upfront, the HD650 will do that much better than the D2000.  The D2000 has a depression in the upper midrange presence area, while the HD650 does not.  The HD600 is in fact even more robust in that area, so female vocals will be even stronger.

what about t90 vs hd650 in female singer vocal ? which one will perform better ? 

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 22
I've never heard or touched a T90, but it's really infamous for having the largest treble spike imaginable in the 8-10k range.  I would stay away from it with female vocals, unless you want tons of sibilance on any recording that isn't pristine.

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 22
I've had my D2000 for 7 years or so, and keep it at work, while at home I mostly use the Fostex X00. They're great for heavy psych, hard rock, metal, post-punk, etc. However for vocal music, jazz, classical, opera, you might want to try something different like an open headphone. Most of the tips above sound on point to me!

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 22
Question: Did you do the LA mods to the D2000?
She shines with the mods, plus get the wooden cups, and lastly get the angle pads. Then ask yourself, do I need to get another headphone.
I have the D2000 with all the mods including the wooden cups, have the HD 650 and HD 700.
You be surprise how well the D2000 can sound. Side grade to HD650, but for movies, gaming, and classical music, nothing will beat the HD700.
HD700 is currently under $500. Good deals for HD650 is around $300. 
Good Luck....

Jul 29, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #9 of 22
I've never heard or touched a T90, but it's really infamous for having the largest treble spike imaginable in the 8-10k range.  I would stay away from it with female vocals, unless you want tons of sibilance on any recording that isn't pristine.

I have the t90 and the 650 and I agree to a certain extend. The t90 needs. Tube amp to tame the treble spike and bring out the lovely bass it can produce. The 650 is much easier to handle.

The easier way is certainly the 650 - better - depends on the amp.....

Jul 29, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 22
I have never noticed any exaggerated sibliance with my T90 and I run mine from an SPL phonitor mini, which is of dead neutral kind. Female vocals are just lovely, somewhat more shimmery than what could be considered absolutey natural, but not blatantly colored, not by a long shot.

Jul 30, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #11 of 22
I have the t90 and the 650 and I agree to a certain extend. The t90 needs. Tube amp to tame the treble spike and bring out the lovely bass it can produce. The 650 is much easier to handle.

The easier way is certainly the 650 - better - depends on the amp.....

i have FiiO e10 , so i should go for 650 ?

will i notice a good difference from my D2000 ? in adele songs for example or sia ?
i really dont understand terms like warm or neutral , i just want it to sound good and relaxing at home and enjoyable 

Jul 30, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #12 of 22
  Question: Did you do the LA mods to the D2000?
She shines with the mods, plus get the wooden cups, and lastly get the angle pads. Then ask yourself, do I need to get another headphone.
I have the D2000 with all the mods including the wooden cups, have the HD 650 and HD 700.
You be surprise how well the D2000 can sound. Side grade to HD650, but for movies, gaming, and classical music, nothing will beat the HD700.
HD700 is currently under $500. Good deals for HD650 is around $300. 
Good Luck....

no i have no idea what LA mods mean :frowning2: i'm not really expert in these stuff i just bought this headphone 5-6 years ago and had it since

so are you saying D2000 is better than hd650 in Adele Songs ? like those type of songs that focus vocal ? ( for home usage )

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #13 of 22
Go to lawtonaudio.com and see all his tuning mods for the D2000. From dampening the drivers and wooden cups to his angle pads for more soundstage.

"The bass with mods (dampening) was far improved in my opinion. Just as much slam without the excess reverberation. This really tightened up the bass, and forced the mids and treble to be a little more forward and present due to the lack of bass reverberation clouding these frequencies. In addition, with the wooden cups, I found the bass to be far more 'wet' and satisfying. Having said this, the bass has a little more oomph without dampening. Although overall I preferred to sacrifice the slightly unnatural bass decay in lieu of more prominent mids/treble. But if you're a total basshead, that may not be your cup of tea.

As mentioned, the mids were a little more detailed and present with the mods due to the bass dampening/darker background. The treble was actually a bit less dry/harsh, although I suspect this had more to do with the cable than the dampening. Some may not like that in the treble range, but for me it made the headphone less fatiguing (should that be an issue for you).

The soundstaging with the mods (thanks to the cups and pads) was far more impressive. Whilst the positioning, imaging and accuracy remained mostly unchanged, the width (and a little depth) of the soundstage was far greater (due to greater driver distance and greater cup depth) which made the headphones feel less confined and more immersive (not to mention more comfortable - no part of the pad touches my ear)".

The markl mods and pads are definitely good value. I would pay every cent for the wood cups on looks alone, but they also contributed a great deal to the soundstage and the timbre and worth the investment if you'll use these cans for a while.

Search this title in Head-Fi: It explains all the details of the LA mod plus the end results of the mod in detail.
MarkL Mod made EASY! D2000 (possibly for D5000) template!

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back