is hd 280 pros and pa2v2 amp a good combo?
Jun 4, 2006 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wibowo

New Head-Fier
hi guys. so far the forum has been very helpful in providing information and this is the first time i am posting. i tried to search for threads regarding hd 280 and pa2v2 but could not find one.

anyways, i just bought a hd 280 pros and am looking for an amp that costs us$150 and below. Recently, when searching for infos about amps, the "pa2v2" keeps popping up. what do u guys think?

what should i look in an amp? specifications? just out of curiosity, why does the pa2v2 cost cheaper than other amps if it's so good?

Jun 4, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #3 of 5
Hello wibowo
Let me be the first to say....

Sorry about your wallet.
icon10.gif

It seems you've already been coerced into buying something besides crap by the raving nutcases here at head-fi. Or maybe you just decided you'd buy some Senns by any other potential means. Maybe it's just not for me to speculate about. But more to the point of your thread...

I think the reason the PA2v2 is not expensive is that the parts used and time spent to make it are not terribly expensive. The marvel of Gary's amp from what people here have said is that it sounds so good while remaining so cost-effective. While I have not personally used it, I can imagine that it could easily handle the load your headphones require, as 64 ohms is not a terribly high impedence. Also, swappable batteries are kinda nice to have, though the highly efficient design of the PA2v2 reportedly results in quite a long battery life.

Ultimately, if you're looking for advice about what to buy there will be plenty of suggestions at this forum I'd imagine. If you want to know what you should do... well... only you can answer that. Good luck deciding, even if you choose to be happy with what you've already got!
tongue.gif
280smile.gif

Jun 4, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 5
Amps tend to have their own sound signatures which will add to any headphone's sound, so you'll want an amp that gives you the kind of sound you prefer.

I haven't heard the PA2V2 but most people say it's a bassy amp that boosts the mids as well (the range of most instruments and male voices). I haven't heard the HD280 either, but if you like warm mids and bass, the PA2V2 would be a great option.

Erring on the more neutral side is the Little Dot Micro+, which is a great bargain for its price. It tends to hold bass back a little at the expense of control, but it does give greater definition and texture on bass notes.

The next step up, but still under $150, would be an amp like the Portaphile X3, which would probably give you a more refined sound with punch.

Jun 4, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 5
If you want the sound signature on the 280's to do a complete 180, blu tak mod them. Bass goes from non-existant to, well, beastly -->
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
. I should be recieving a pint amp on monday so I could tell you how it sounds with amplification then if you want to wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back