Is 'harshness' a common complaint with HD600's?
Feb 4, 2005 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jimix

New Head-Fier
Just trying to see if I am going crazy here. Right now my rig looks is an M-Audio DiO 2496 > singlepower ppx3 > hd600s, however back when it was integrated audio > cmoy > hd600s I ran into the same problem. Basically, only on certain albums/mixes does this really happen, but I'll hear what sounds almost like digital clipping on high frequency stuff, especially with an s sound. Singers ending lines, high hats, cymbal crashes, etc. At first I thought it was becuase of my mp3s but it even happens when I am listening to cds on a different source. It gets to the point where I either don't want to listen anymore or put on a different album where the harshness doesn't come out
frown.gif

Any ideas about what I am talking about? Anybody maybe have different headphone ideas? Anybody want to trade for some HD600s
600smile.gif

Feb 4, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 9
Both of the sources you mentioned are quiet harsh and digital sounding, and that is the culprit (primarily), which is ony exacerbated by the fact that the HD600 has not a harsh treble, but one that does sound a bit grainy, so when presented with a harsh input, it only makes it worse (esp. considering the excellent high end extension). The PPX3 ameliorates the problem somewhat since it is a bit soft and rolled-off sounding IMO, but you won't really get rid of the harshness until you get a better source (M-Audios do have good detail, but they all have a bit of a harsh, overemphasized treble IMO). If you can swap your DiO for an EMU 0404, I think you'd be much better off.

Feb 4, 2005 at 7:25 AM Post #3 of 9
Ah, makes sense. I was planning on getting an Art DI/O to run digital outs and ins to the DiO (also wanted to do some recording). It has a tube in it, so that might help, or maybe I should just get the emu. I ALREADY SPENT SO MUCH MONEY, CURSE YOU HEAD-FI!!!

Feb 4, 2005 at 7:30 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimix
Ah, makes sense. I was planning on getting an Art DI/O to run digital outs and ins to the DiO (also wanted to do some recording). It has a tube in it, so that might help, or maybe I should just get the emu. I ALREADY SPENT SO MUCH MONEY, CURSE YOU HEAD-FI!!!

The tube in the DI/O is used only for ADC, so it will not warm up your sound. IMO the DI/O is not a very good source unless modded, and even then it costs hundereds to get it sounding all that good. An 0404 would be a much cheaper, and better sounding option, if you are a PC audio guy.

Feb 4, 2005 at 7:54 AM Post #5 of 9
LOL, no slumber is!
biggrin.gif

[size=xx-small]down, down team sennheiser, I'm just kidding guys, honestly! (And I've really been enjoying my 650's lately) No, put away the torches!!!![/size]

Feb 4, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Well at least if the photos of our famous meet are the evidence
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

That's exactly what I was thinking of too!
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back