Is Grado, the only one capable of making music come alive?
Jul 23, 2016 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BigBoi

New Head-Fier
So, a couple months ago, I bought a pair of Grado SR60e's and was impressed by their ability to make music fun and lively. The only thing that bothered me were the harsh highs and sibilance. I then bought a pair of AKG K7XX's which aren't any fun....

Anybody know of a pair of headphones that will make me tap my feet, without sacrificing quality. Thanks

I don't have a budget; If the headphones are perfect, i can go above the 1000$ mark....if necessary.

Jul 23, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 6
Grado are known for their fairly distinct "house" sound, so easiest way to go might be to research/demo other Grado models. There are also the Alessandro models (officially modded Grados) which have a general reputation for being slightly 'tamed' IIRC.

SR60/80 are also quite popular headphones for modding and other DIY projects so if you have any interest in that stuff there should be lots of info out there. Some are as simple as just swapping the earpads out to change the sound (an example: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evaluation-grado-stock-and-modified-ear-pads )

Alternatives? personally don't have any recommendations- as a starting point, some headphones I've seen mentioned recently as "fun": Fostex th-x00, th-600, th-900, Meze 99 Classics, Final Audio Sonorous VI.

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 6
  So, a couple months ago, I bought a pair of Grado SR60e's and was impressed by their ability to make music fun and lively. The only thing that bothered me were the harsh highs and sibilance. I then bought a pair of AKG K7XX's which aren't any fun....

Anybody know of a pair of headphones that will make me tap my feet, without sacrificing quality. Thanks

I don't have a budget; If the headphones are perfect, i can go above the 1000$ mark....if necessary.

depends on what you find particularly fun. If you like the grado sound, I'd say upgrade to a pair of ps500, ps500e or maybe Gh-1 models which are a bit more relaxed in the upper frequencies but still keep the Grado sound.

Some people like a bassier sound or V shape signatures to be fun (although not my cup of tea). Like @Raketen  said above the Fostex th-x00, th-600, th-900 are very well liked around here and have this v-shape sound signature.

I've tried lots of different headphones the last few years, but nothing does it for me quite like Grados do it. Just my personal preference.

People seem to either really like Grados or they really HATE them from my experience. If you really like the sr60e, consider upgrading to a higher priced Grado. You'll get the same basic sound signature but a more refined sound. 

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 6
I've owned the SR60 and 80 a couple times. I only thought they were great in that price range. I bought a Beyer DT880 pro a few years back and after switching back and forth I lost all interest in Grado. I thought the Beyer far superior. But it doesn't sound like a Grado. Instead it's very smooth and linear. I currently have an Audio-Technica AD1000X and think they are less smooth but more engaging than the DT880 but I didn't own them at the same time. But technically, the Audio-Technica sounds a bit more like the Grado. Try an Audio-Technica AD900X and see if you like it. Amping makes a big difference too in sound quality. I use a Little Dot 1+ with upgraded op-amp and tubes.

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 6
I'd also recommend the ps500 if you like the Grado sound but want less treble. Many of the other pricier Grados are even brighter than the sr60. If you can find a shop that carries Grado, listening to their entire range is worthwhile.

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 6
Hifiman HE-560

I started with Grado 225i, then Grado RS1i, then the opposite direction to Sennheiser HD650, to Hifiman 400s, and now the HE-560.  

It requires good amplification. You won't be running it off a cellphone or anything.  Nope, it has (surprisingly) steep power requirements.  Not HE-6 level.  But, you need a solid amp to be happy here.  

But, if you have that part, then I am not sure you can beat these for under $1000.  They will grab you with some excitement ala Grado, but at the same time are much more accurate and airy with bigger, better bass.  Wonderful headphones.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back